Which decade 'rocks' for you?

AuburnWarrior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Mid to late 90s for me.
I was a bit too young for the 80s but I got involved - Level 42 at Wembley in 86/87 and I was a MASSIVE Adam and the Ants fan! So much so that I drew the white line he had across his nose on my action man! The Madchester scene was superb as well and laid some brilliant foundations for the British music scene which, unfortunately, ignored them and decided to go after Zig and Zag, Whigfield and Dina Carroll! :( The only saving grace around this time was Vanilla Ice! :rolleyes:
At this point I got into Hardcore and the dance scene in a big way. Acen and Sonz of a loop da loop era did it for me! I've still got loads of this stuff on white label 12" and when I listen to it now - it takes me right back.
A friend if mine introduced me to gangster rap - thankfully this faze didn't last.
And then, in 1995 one of the greatest events of my life occurred! One rainy summers day in Sarff Landan town my trolley colleague (we were both trolley walleys at Sainsburys) asked me to go with him to the Venue at New Cross to see an up and coming band. I stated that rock music wasn't my thing (I was still into the hardcore scene) but thanked him anyway. OK he said, no worries - some other time but, he added, remember their name because they're gonna be massive - OASIS! They then released some might say and I fell in love! What a band - what a sound - what an attitude! They spoke my language - be who you are and be proud of where you're from. Let no-one stand in your way and say what you've got to say. I dressed like them and wanted to be them. I bought everything they'd released and then some! In my opinion they changed the British music scene. They dragged it from the early 90s rubbish of the WWF wrestlers album into a Britpop monster that took some years to kill. They took the Madchester scene and made it what it should have been - a global phenomenon. I know that they're not to everyone's taste - they're probably not the best band in your world but they are in mine!!!!!
Also, Palace were a decent side in the 90s - loads of away trips and four Wembley appearances (which we decided was our second home.....) :eek:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Always was, is and will be the 80's for me. Fantastic era for music, and a lot of it still better than most of the dross on offer since.

Dread to remember the fashion, doctor death shirts, stretch denim and leg warmers - what were we thinking? Just have to watch the Wedding Singer to bring back a chuckle or two.

But the music - Thompson Twins, Tears for Fears, Heaven 17, OMD, Kraftwerk, Spandau Ballet, Simple Minds, Depeche Mode, Frankie, Japan, Gary Numan, Duran Duran, Propaganda, the list goes on and on, brilliant.

If I didn't already have most of them on my ipod already, this would be worth adding to my CD collection - http://www.ministryofsound.com/product/digitaldownload/downloads/download/anthemselectronic80s/

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
80's for me, I used to dress as a new romantic complete with make-up and the clothes, such as Vivienne Westwood etc. I couldn't afford to wear that stuff now (couldn't fit into it more like) I drove my poor old dad barmy. The scraps he got into defending me. Bands like Japan, Classix Nouveau, Bauhaus,Test tube babies, The The, The Normal (warm leatherette)what a classic. Ah the memories.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I need to cross over from late sixties to early seventies. The explosion of music back then was unbelievable. My own personal favourites were The Sensational Alex Harvey band, Bebop Delux and Thin Lizzy besides The Doors, The Beatles, The Stones, Jimmy Hendrix, Cream, D Purple, Pink F, Beach Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, AC DC, Rush and Led Zep.

DCB

Visit site
I'd say mid 70s to mid 80s are the best years for me. After that, well, I had better things to spend my money on, golf for instance.

If I'm on a long drive on my own though it's mostly 75-85 type music I listen to. Amazing how as teenagers we discarded certain things as crap music at the time, but now you hear them again and think, thats not bad after all.

I always said that it was good of Bob Geldof to stage the big Live Aid gig in 1985 just for my birthday ! There were some good performances that day. I remember watching the start on tv, playing in the Summer Meeting at the golf club, then watching the end of the events long into the night.