Which clubs?

Ride4fun

Visit site
Hello, I’m after a bit of advice, been playing for around a year now and am playing consistently off a 28 handicap, to start off i brought a second hand set of cobra cxi irons with graphite shafts, I feel it is time to upgrade now so I had a club fitment done at a local shop being honest that I probly wouldn’t buy new from them and was after a good second hand set on golfbidder or similar site. When fitting we used cobra sz club head and figured that a regular steel shaft suited me a lot better than the graphite, standard length was good, and if anything a 1 degree upward angle on the club head ( was it called lie angle? I can’t remember) would be good, but not 100% nessasary, it just helped the toe not dig in a tad.
Now my question is this, I wanted to stick with cobra because all my equipment and woods are cobra but it is not a must.
I was looking at the f7 and 8s as they are in my price range £200 - £350 ish for a second hand set but golf bidder tells me they may not be the best option and the taylormade m2s could be better, any suggestions or advice on this?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I can't think of any particular reason why TMs would be any better than f8/9s. The great thing about picking up prior-season cobra it is that is as good as some of the more popular brands but at a much lower price point.
If you don't want to head into the wild west of eBay, check out a couple of the other reseller sites - golfbidder are good, but charge quite a premium in my experience.
I wouldn't worry too much about 1 degree of lie adjustment btw, the well probably be a few larger variables in your swing too worry about first...

Ride4fun

Visit site
I can't think of any particular reason why TMs would be any better than f8/9s. The great thing about picking up prior-season cobra it is that is as good as some of the more popular brands but at a much lower price point.
If you don't want to head into the wild west of eBay, check out a couple of the other reseller sites - golfbidder are good, but charge quite a premium in my experience.
I wouldn't worry too much about 1 degree of lie adjustment btw, the well probably be a few larger variables in your swing too worry about first...

Thanks for the reply, golfbidder appear to work to some kind of handicap chart which tell them which clubs are suitable for the higher handicapper, apparently the “f” cobra models are not on that list, the bafflers are as are the f max I believe, but I thought they looked cheap, but if they will improve my game more I am happy to go for them, I just wondered if anyone has a comment on the f8 etc... being any less forgiveful than say the tm m2s like they was suggesting or any other club for that matter

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, golfbidder appear to work to some kind of handicap chart which tell them which clubs are suitable for the higher handicapper, apparently the “f” cobra models are not on that list, the bafflers are as are the f max I believe, but I thought they looked cheap, but if they will improve my game more I am happy to go for them, I just wondered if anyone has a comment on the f8 etc... being any less forgiveful than say the tm m2s like they was suggesting or any other club for that matter
A set of ping G in a blue dot these are .75 upright so should be a good fit .
With a regular shaft the toe moves a bit down with the swing force ,you will notice the difference but it’s not massive.
Clubs that fit your swing will help you improve so I would go for 1 up.
Have a look at clubs in your local superstore or pro shops as most model new ones are not that much different than the previous model.
The pro may alter the lie for you if you see something you like ,so ask don’t be shy.
Or try and find a second hand set of the ones you like.
Take your time as it’s winter you have a few months to look.
Try as many as you can before choosing.
Good luck.