Which android apps do you use for golf?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Re: Which android apps do you use?

Out of bounds is probably a better place for that type of question.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site

Talking Tom - makes me chuckle even after a bad round of golf.

Not really into apps personally although do also have Hotmail/FB and Ebay for when I can't get to a PC.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yeah should have woken up before I posted the thread. It should have read what golf apps do you use not just apps. Rangefiders etc rather than general apps.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

Free caddie is an excellent app-seems fairly accurate too and it's free :)

Other golf related apps I have are mark crossfields app, pga tour, v1, rules of golf app, kindle
(If you read any golf books) and tee off times.

Would like a good stat recording one but haven't found one yet.

kev_off_the_tee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I'd highly recommend Golf Pad premium (£3.95). I used it today and it was great, recording plenty of stats which I'm about to assess.

I'll be writing a review later once I have my sunday dinner and grab a beer

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do they use data usage if your using GPS? Only have 100MB on my contract so don't want to use any more than that as it'll cost me a fortune.

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

They do use data usage. Just checked and in a month it used 27 mb of data for me. Can't remember but I'm sure I played at least 3 rounds but prob 4 and maybe even 5. I'll check the usage after my next round. The good thing about freecaddie is if your course or a course you're going to play isnt on there you can add it yourself. You simply go online and mark it using google maps. You can also mark any hazards, bunkers doglegs etc and it'll give you the distance to them too.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site

Do they use data usage if your using GPS? Only have 100MB on my contract so don't want to use any more than that as it'll cost me a fortune.

If you have a proper GPS on your smartphone then should not. Used Freecaddie for a long while and don't have mobile internet access. Just download the course(s) via wifi before leaving.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site

Use golfshot myself. Started with the free one. Then after a few months got the paid for one. You can put your stats in as well. But not used that part yet (to lazy).

DavePhoenix

Medal Winner
Visit site

Use golfshot myself. Started with the free one. Then after a few months got the paid for one. You can put your stats in as well. But not used that part yet (to lazy).

I have golf shot too... costs around £20 if I remember but played with a mate who had Skycaddie and the data was exactly the same.
Gives you everything you need in terms of distances to bunkers, hazards etc.

As Dave says you can add stats in yourself such as fairways hit, GIR, putts per round etc.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

Golfshot doesn't have my home course.
Freecaddie does have it and the pro version is only £3.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

I looked at both of those Sydney but I couldn't find anywhere to see which courses they have on them .

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site

Phone arrived late yesterday and I've had a play. I've installed freecaddie but it just sits there saying searching and doesn't pick up my location.
Any Ideas freecaddiers?

jdchelsea

Head Pro
Visit site

Have you turned on the gps settings? If you have and it's still not working try standing outside lol I've used my freecaddie on around 10 different courses and it's never had a problem finding me.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site

I looked at both of those Sydney but I couldn't find anywhere to see which courses they have on them .

I use the Swing by Swing app, paid the little bit extra so I could get the stats and club distance tracker and it's a wonderful app. Uses GPS and maps to give the course layout and if you club isn't listed you can add it very easily yourself on their website.

I've added two courses and changed the layout of another, the SBS people check the validity of what you have entered and if approved the rest of the world gets to use it as well.