Where to play Suffolk 28th May

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have a family do in Stowmarket that weekend and are looking for ideas of where to play on the Monday (anyone willing to host) before heading back home on the Tuesday. Will just be the two of us.Thanks

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Whilst I wouldn't disagree with the suggestion of Purdis you might baulk at the £80 Green fee.

Since you are in Stowmarket why don't you try Stowmarket GC. I'll be honest, it's not one of my favourite courses in the area but it is decent enough, albeit not in Purdis' class.

Woodbridge could be an option and given there are just the two of you perhaps Aldeburgh could be an option.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you google it and get a list of the top 10 in Suffolk, they’re all within relatively easy reach of stowmarket so you’ll be spoiled for choice.

Thorpeness appeals to me for some reason, I haven’t played it though!

D

Deleted member 21258

Think I have played three courses in Suffolk:-

Ufford Park, nice enough standard 18 hole course, some nice holes
Hintlesham Hall, played along time ago, was a good layout iirc but quite young at the time but would imagine it has now matured nicely
Royal worlington & Newmarket, 9 holes course a bit like an inland links, quite expensive iirc

Stoke by nayland is very close to Suffolk if not in it, lovely two courses(36 holes) there.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thorpeness is brilliant. Play there at least once a summer when I'm visiting my parents.

I wouldn't say brilliant but it is very nice. Aldeburgh would bemy first choice in Suffolk though. I've always fancied Felixstowe Ferry for some reason, not played it yet.

D

Deleted member 15717

Aldeburgh is a brute, but a great track. Expensive though.
Thorpeness is alright, definitely want to have another crack at it.
Purdis is very nice. Stand on some of those tees and it’s visually stunning
Woodbridge is also very good, on par with Purdis.

For me, those are the 4 you should look at in Suffolk. Stowmarket is a bit meh in my eyes. Some daft holes. Bury St Edmunds is a bit up and down and samey.

Across the border in Thetford is very nice

D

Deleted member 17920

What day are you travelling down Anne, I am not at work on the 29th as I am playing away or I would have hosted you at Woodhall.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played at Woodbridge GC a couple of years back and was impressed -they have two courses and we played the 9 hole Forest Course for a few quid and it was really enjoyable, not a short course either. The main 18 looked very appealing, but as we were on a family break, the Forest fitted our needs.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
We have a family do in Stowmarket that weekend and are looking for ideas of where to play on the Monday (anyone willing to host) before heading back home on the Tuesday. Will just be the two of us.Thanks

My in-laws are members at Stowmarket GC.
I must have played the course 20 times. I like it. Good variety of holes & challenge. It's kept in good condition and the greens are good.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure what Aldeburgh's like but Thorpeness is definitely not stuffy from my experience, guys in the shop always really nice and helpful. Love that course.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
We can get a cheap rate at Purdis after 2.30pm. Should we go for it? Can't see us being in the area again for a while after this visit.

D

Deleted member 17920

Yes Anne.

It’s the finest heathland course in the area.

Do it.