When to progress to blades/forged/tour irons??

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some well thought out points but ultimately for amateurs we make a choice based partly on performance but mostly on the entertainment and amusement factor. We're not paying mortgages based upon GIR and if we fancy blades then why not. This then leads to my point that by playing something we are creatively engaged with will help us anyway rather than something a bit dull and functional that we're a little ambivalent about.

Fully subscribe to Ethan's point about shorter irons being much more satisfying and my view is that they are more effective too hence the prevalence of them in tour bags.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi All,

First post here.

I have now been playing golf seriously for just about 2 years and after throwing cash at a load of lessons and practising most days a week I have got my handicap down to 10 and really starting to play good golf and right now the golf of my life, I can work the ball both ways and my last 8 rounds have been in the 70's all of my friends I play with are below 5 handicap so I feel that has had a huge impact on my development.

Anyway my question is when should I progress to more advanced irons? I have been told by most the guys I play with forged/blades are a lot better for shaping the ball and gaining spin on approach shots? is this true?

And should I think about moving away from cavity's now? I just want to keep progressing with my game but do not want to run before I can walk so to speak?!

Thank you for your time and any feedback and info you feel would be helpful to me will be much appreciated because I am still very much a beginner within the sport :D

I got to 8 with my old bats (2010 taylormade cb's) and treated myself to the newer 2014 mc's because I was playing well..... Biggest mistake I've made so far.

I watched a 4 capper shot +2 with a set of Dunlop 65 irons that he purchased from sports direct for £2 a club, the only branded premium clan in his bag was a 4/5 year old cally driver.

My point is if your bats got you to 10 and you trust them..... Stick with it man! Confidence has a high premium ;)