When Lessons Work

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Homer, good to read your post.
Lessons can produce dramatic results for mid-high handicap players. I often knocked 4-5 shots off a round in the time after a lesson, but a great deal depends on "ingraining" what the improvements are in practice sessions. Once, I was asked to look at a work colleague's swing, which we did with the help of a video camera. I noticed that his swing was very upright (like mine had been) and gave him the same exercise to practice. He started hitting it really well. Sadly, not being a pro teacher, it's hard to spot everything. Mostly, improvement is about cutting down on the disaster shots than the good ones. Once I had to play in a national cup (NAPGC) and was struggling with fading when I'd been drawing for about 6 months. My pro gave me a simple practice drill which he thought I would need to repeat 100-200 times. Actually, I hit 4 buckets (of 100) at the range and played a 4-over round the next day (off 10). There are some quick fixes, but you have to get them in your system, so when you hit the course, you just hit the ball and not worry.
Good for you! 20 down to 15 is a real step.....15 to 10 is tougher....
Dave