When does golf become boring???

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
When you have the time to play 300 rounds a year lol. There was an article in GM last year about people getting bored and just thinking of the score rather than the golfing experience.

I get down thinking I only play a few times a month and recently its been 2 times at that a month, roll on the summer.

I have a friend in Oz who has his own 9 holer on his land, I guess that would get broing but good for practice.

blindpete

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have only been playing 3 years and have no intention of joining a club, for the forseeable future, for exactly that reason. I may only play 30-40 times this year but will probably play at 10+ different courses. This keeps it fresh and exciting IMHO.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The reason I ask is that a guy I know plays his own course around 300 rounds per year. He never ventures off of his own course, to me this would be so boring and predictable, becoming autonomous.

What do you all reckon?

I would probably turn this on it's head MWJ and ask when is it not boring?

If your out in the fresh air and enjoy walking in pleasant surroundings away from work- it's not boring.

If you like being in good company- it's not boring

If you would like to play off scratch, bend the ball anyway you like at will and drop a 200 yard iron pin high but don't - it's not boring

If there's still a 'courses to play before I die' list in the back of your head and you haven't got a mental tick next to every one- it's not boring

If that little thud the ball makes when it's flopped onto a smooth green still sounds golden- it's not boring (same for the 'ting' of a well -centred drive, a ball dropping in the cup etc.)

If there's any doubt whatsoever that youre dream clubs are yet to go on sale- it's not boring.

How many more could one write?

When all or most of the above don't float your boat anymore ( and lets face it, it's not cheap) then it's time to shake hands with the game and go your seperate ways on good terms with fond memories.

Personally, I think i'll run out of money before this ever happens.

Are you shouldering some doubts ?

medwayjon

Tour Winner
www.snodhurstcarsales.co.uk
I have no doubts on my love for the game, I just struggle to see how playing the same course for 21 years on an almost daily basis can be fulfilling after so long.

This is why I love being a nomadic golfer as there is a new challenge just around the corner.

I can understand playing the same course very regularly but there is surely a need to get out there as it were.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
horses for courses really.

if he is happy going over the same course again and again more power to him, he obviously does not get bored or he would go elsewhere or stop playing.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I see your point. Yeah, 21 years of playing the same course-WITHOUT- mixing it up with other challenges would test the commitment of a Trappist monk. It's not how I would want to do it either.

Maybe the guy just loves the friendships he's formed, the routine of it or he's got a very long-standing unrequainted crush on the barmaid.

Have you put your question to the gent in question? what did he reply ?( if I might be so bold as to ask)

There's a lot to be said for membership but nothing that a diehard nomad couldn't slap down no doubt.

It's horses for courses.. so to speak.

fwiw - a bit of both is what I hope for

bill

SuessGolf27

Visit site
One course, 300 times a year is a little much for me, throw some variety in there. the only way that does not get boring is if you dominate that course and you can impress your friends. I guess then it can get interesting.