When do you think you will next play golf?

Diamond

Visit site
Our club sent an email on Friday stating that the "BRS system was being disabled" so they could "implement modifications" and that "more information would be available" following BoJo's "announcement on Sunday".

Another local club to me updated their COVID page, on Friday, with a comprehensive breakdown of the new rules, including driving range. See URL below:
https://www.highleghpark.com/covid-19-rules

Maybe this is just good planning and it has been done in hope rather than anything concrete but if the Minister of Culture has been talking to Golfs governing bodies some of the details must have found itself down to grass roots level.

Either way if I can get out on my own sometime over the next week for a game of golf I will be chuffed to bits.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
if it will take 2 days of full greens staff to make my course playable, and this involves unfurloughing them, I will be very peeved. The numbers of potential golfers who benefit from playing will be small, and in my view, measures taken to keep the club in business need to be kept in place. Otherwise they are just going bust quicker.

There is also the issue of course usage. On Saturday there were upwards of 200 people using the course. Picnics, footy, Frisbees, dog walking, families with small kids. It is going to be very hard to repurpose the golf course for golf, with singles at 10 minute intervals. And no, you can't just play through them. Imagine if you hit a small child.
We have a couple of public footpaths on our course, I think they cross 3 or 4 fairways, with maybe 3 access points.
Our Club has already asked for volunteers to marshal these areas (I sssume to update public on the course being open and remind them to keep to paths)
There's certainly a course in my area where I've played on Sunday afternoons (might even be yours) where you have to time your shot to a par three in between the streams of walkers and cyclists passing in front of it!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
We have a couple of public footpaths on our course, I think they cross 3 or 4 fairways, with maybe 3 access points.
Our Club has already asked for volunteers to marshal these areas (I sssume to update public on the course being open and remind them to keep to paths)
There's certainly a course in my area where I've played on Sunday afternoons (might even be yours) where you have to time your shot to a par three in between the streams of walkers and cyclists passing in front of it!

With singles golf, we could easily end up with more marshals than players.

I wouldn't want to marshal. I can forsee a lot of agro.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Needs to be clarified what "different households" actually means, as everything announced so far puts things in the context of "family". So meeting another family member from a different household is allowed but it is not clear as to whether "non family members from different households" are able to meet.

Visit site
A Consulting Virologist came on Radio 5 this morning. Making no particular reference to golf, but more to walking in the countryside, he happened to add "the chances of you catching Coronavirus whilst out in the open countryside are extremely slim".
So as long as everyone is aware of their personal responsibility, what would be the problem with groups of three balls with your mates?
And, as for folk sunbathing on the greens..........they definitely would be getting the "foxtrot oscar" treatment from myself and my colleagues. Haven't we been here before on this matter?Golf courses are (almost all) on Private Land, with the exception of Public Footpaths.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I’d hope that the majority of people would stop using the course if notices are put up. If they’ve got kids then they’ve the responsibility not to put them in harms way far more than the person on the tee.

People can also travel further now, so the whole idea of simply using the course as it’s closest has changed now.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Needs to be clarified what "different households" actually means, as everything announced so far puts things in the context of "family". So meeting another family member from a different household is allowed but it is not clear as to whether "non family members from different households" are able to meet.

I do agree that if 2m social distancing rule can be applied in a park to meet a friend or family member from another household, then the same should be applied to golf, but as it stands, I read it as family living in the same household can play together, family living in a different household can't.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's always been households.
So your live in adult partner and your children, or your flatmates. Not your relatives unless you still live with Mum and Dad

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
must be some guidance from clubs coming out on this sort of thing? presumably itll be a case of report it to the pro shop and let them deal with it through the appropriate channel?

The pro shop may still not be open. Even if it was, they can't spend all day out in a buggy being sworn at.

How do you play a 200 yard par 3 with kids playing on the green? This is the new norm. It will be difficult to change new habits.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you play a 200 yard par 3 with kids playing on the green? This is the new norm. It will be difficult to change new habits.
I will just wack the driver as hard as I can and with any luck ...

... the ball just about rolls onto the front edge of the green.
More likely it is 40 yard shot and in the deep rough right of the fairway.

But that’s just me. ;-(

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Incidentally, at the beginning of this thread I stated May as the next time I would play. I appreciate I may need to share the prize with some others, thankfully there were a lot of hugely negative posters who wrote off the whole year or summer at least, but I'm hopeful of at least a 3 pack of Srixons. Looking forward to them coming through :D

Jcrossley94

Visit site
The pro shop may still not be open. Even if it was, they can't spend all day out in a buggy being sworn at.

from the scenario you give, i reckon on the green is the safest place on the course if im hitting :D

Agreed, hopefully with new guidance on exercise, people will be more varied in where they exercise and once they start seeing golfers on the course, naturally most people will change their behaviour, some will be awkward hopefully not many.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if it's one balls, what game will you play?
If I'm wandering around on my own, I normally play two and try to best ball par each hole.
I know Tiger does worst ball, but I'd rather not.

oltimer

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Remember there will still be Seniors taking 3 minutes on every shot to look for their balls.
As a senior veteran I never look for my ball, if it goes 100 yds + its beyond my eyesight range, if shorter than that and not on the fairway will have forgotten where it went, can still get around in 4 hours tho` as long as I only play 9 holes.

sussexhacker

Visit site
One of my local courses put a post of Facebook saying that the Greenkeepers have been dealing with a load of abuse from the public simply for asking them to get off greens and not use bunkers as sand pits

Do other countries have problems like these or is it a unique thing to our messed up country?
I’m sure they wouldn’t tolerate it in most parts of the world but we’re too soft