When do you think you will next play golf?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do hope this isn't false optimism and golf clubs do reopen soon. I don't think we're be in a position to open clubhouses bar the changing facilities/locker room and definitely can't see food and bar areas being opened. On the plus side pro shops would reopen and so they could make money again through lessons etc. I think if a club has any form of marketing savvy, they'd be thinking of local advertising schemes and social media and inviting a lot of green fees to play. This generates much needed income anyway and if they can market the course/club well may even entice some more memberships

I think that this is pretty unrealistic. Pro shops maybe could open if other retail outlets in general can but realistically, who is going to be spending on high ticket items now. Lessons are a no due to social distancing. Green fees will also probably be out as access to the course is likely to be restricted with smaller groups and bigger gaps between groups and so it is unlikely that al of the members who want to play will be able to get a round let alone guests. You also have the issue of marshalling them. The club has some power over members as various penalties can be imposed for lack of social distancing etc but guests need to be monitored. As Fish and others mention as well, there is a financial aspect. Unless opening up again with no other facilities attracts a surge of new member sign ups, it will only damage most clubs as they have to fully pay a number of staff who are currently furloughed.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd suggest the opposite is more likely / safer.

- Private courses: members only / no green fees to minimise contact.
- Public courses: remain shut until they can put in place an effective system for online booking and payments, and crucially marshalling the system.
- Lessons: don't think you can effectively maintain social distancing norms. Unless pros are going to wear masks, gloves, gowns to coach?
I'm at a proprietary course. I can't see the owner restricting visitors, in fact quite the opposite. It is an extra source of income and he will be all over it. I'd like to think otherwise, both for keeping distance and letting members who have paid their fees get some sort of reward in the form of tee time priority but I think I will be disappointed.

sunshine

Visit site
I'm at a proprietary course. I can't see the owner restricting visitors, in fact quite the opposite. It is an extra source of income and he will be all over it. I'd like to think otherwise, both for keeping distance and letting members who have paid their fees get some sort of reward in the form of tee time priority but I think I will be disappointed.

Firstly, I would be massively annoyed if I was a member and the club prioritised visitors over me. But then I think you've mentioned this as a continuing issue at your place, so you know what to expect.

As GB72 mentions above, you can manage members on the course more effectively. Issue clear communications about what to do / what is prohibited. Members know the course, know when to turn up on the 1st tee, where to go etc. You can also warn / issue penalties to members about inappropriate conduct, and expect them to adhere to it because they have "skin in the game".

I'm sure courses will work out ways to manage visitors, but they will need to put a lot of thought into it. Much more risk with visitors.

BerkshireGolfer10

Visit site
Personally I think you have to limit courses to members only when they first re-open. Look at the roads right now, so many more people running, walking and cycling because its the only thing people can do. If you open to courses to the public they will be swamped with anyone who owns half a set of clubs.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Well Nicola Sturgeon says we'll be in some sort of lockdown until at least the end of the year/social distancing etc I think that's officially competition golf not happening in Scotland anyway.

Will be interesting to see if you get any sort of relaxing of the ban on playing golf or not in some shape or form.

At the end of the day life comes first and if we need to do these things to preserve life and lessen the burden on hospitals, undertakers, emergency services then I guess we'll just have to abide by what ever transpires.

Funnily enough one of the "big" bosses in work said to me earlier in the week when we were talking about golf that he believed that social distancing would last in some shape or form for at least a year! Wonder if he already knew something?

?

Visit site
???

Reminds me of a Navy lad who did the same thing with tennis ?, he'd never played before but went on a "trials" (freebie afternoon off).

He came back to work, "how did you get on?"
"Yeah very good thanks, I came 4th in the plate".
About 10 minutes after everyone had stopped praising him, it was revealed that there was only 8 players and he'd actually got battered in every match ?

Reminds me of my school days, when we held an annual boxing competition. I was a frequent runner up in every match I boxed!

D

Deleted member 15344

If the government allow golf to start up under social distancing guidelines as per before lockdown do you really think she would overrule that ?

A lot of taking the note from the medical yesterday talking about social distancing being around longer meaning that golf won’t start up etc. They have said from the start that some sort of social media distancing will carry on for a while - but businesses etc will work within those guidelines to the best of their ability - and those guidelines will change over each month until it gets to a stage where there will be very minimal guidelines of any ( which could take 6 months etc )

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think that much will depend on whether there is consideration given to individual sports or whether they are treated as a whole. If individual consideration is given to sports such as golf or fishing then there is a chance for an earlier return. But then again, there would need to be a list of sports where social distancing can be applied with each being individually considered. Not sure I can see that happening, especially based on the time it would take to consider the cases put by each governing body. I sort of look at it like pubs. There is a huge difference in the level of risk associated with a small country pub than that associated with a large, inner city bar. Why you cannot split the 2 is that if one were open and the other not, you would then need to monitor transport routes to stop people in the cities heading out to the country for a drink. Golf has a similar risk Yes, private members clubs have more control but municipal courses, pay and play courses etc do not. As such, you could see, as others have mentioned, an influx of people finding a few clubs on ebay and heading out for a few hours in the sunshine. As they may not be familiar with tee booking etc, you may get unwanted crowds. The argument about people walking on golf courses is not going away as well. Media images of people out on the course whilst others are at home in flats with no gardens is only going to strengthen that case.

The more I think about this, the more I think that golf will not be an exception, it will be allowed when other sports (though maybe not team sports) are permitted and not before.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just for added context here are the Scottish guidance framework: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making/pages/1/

It talks about "gathering in groups in pubs or at public events" is likely to be restricted for longer which I think follows the discussion on clubhouse and awards. I'm not convinced that would apply to a two or three ball in a monthly medal with spaced out tee slots but we'll see.

It also says "It may be that restrictions on some outdoor activity are eased before those on indoor activities - however, all of this will be evidence led." so I guess that would strengthen the position for golf.

I also think social distancing measures is quite a wide ranging term including following appropriate hand hygiene measures so the headline some will stay in place till end of the year could mean anything but personally don't think it will mean golf is restricted till then.

Also, https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/news/government-gathering-evidence-on-whether-golf-can-re-open-196314 , has quotes from the Culture Secretary looking at assessing which sports could comply with social distancing etc. Ok, his job to consider sport amongst other things but it suggests it may not be a blanket approach across sport or prof/amateur. Or perhaps he's just reading this forum.

Not leading the conversation either way, just thought I'd add some substance to discuss either way.

Edited to add the right golf monthly link!

Last edited:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some good points there and much that i am in agreement with. My concern, as in my post, is that, on it's own, there is a decent argument for golf to be allowed but it is whether it will be considered on just its merits, whether it will be considered along with other solo sports, whether it will be considered with outdoor sports etc. I am not sure that golf would be allowed to continue on its own without forming part of a wider relaxation in relation to sport in general and without strict regulations placed upon clubs that will need to be enforced and, potentially, could be backed up by fines for the club if breached.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Just for added context here are the Scottish guidance framework: https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making/pages/1/

It talks about "gathering in groups in pubs or at public events" is likely to be restricted for longer which I think follows the discussion on clubhouse and awards. I'm not convinced that would apply to a two or three ball in a monthly medal with spaced out tee slots but we'll see.

It also says "It may be that restrictions on some outdoor activity are eased before those on indoor activities - however, all of this will be evidence led." so I guess that would strengthen the position for golf.

I also think social distancing measures is quite a wide ranging term including following appropriate hand hygiene measures so the headline some will stay in place till end of the year could mean anything but personally don't think it will mean golf is restricted till then.

Also, https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-framework-decision-making/pages/1/, has quotes from the Culture Secretary looking at assessing which sports could comply with social distancing etc. Ok, his job to consider sport amongst other things but it suggests it may not be a blanket approach across sport or prof/amateur. Or perhaps he's just reading this forum.

Not leading the conversation either way, just thought I'd add some substance to discuss either way.

Either way competition golf won't happen. Of that I'm certain.

D

Deleted member 15344

Some good points there and much that i am in agreement with. My concern, as in my post, is that, on it's own, there is a decent argument for golf to be allowed but it is whether it will be considered on just its merits, whether it will be considered along with other solo sports, whether it will be considered with outdoor sports etc. I am not sure that golf would be allowed to continue on its own without forming part of a wider relaxation in relation to sport in general and without strict regulations placed upon clubs that will need to be enforced and, potentially, could be backed up by fines for the club if breached.

You can’t just lump all sport in together and they have already allowed some levels of exercise to carry in - running , cycling etc , opening up golf will just be another step and I expect they will allow the football teams to start training at the same time ( just like they are doing in Germany ) - cricket will prob start at some stage after as well

Either way competition golf won't happen. Of that I'm certain.

Depends on what you mean - club comps can happen , already processes in place to allow that to happen

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
You can’t just lump all sport in together and they have already allowed some levels of exercise to carry in - running , cycling etc , opening up golf will just be another step and I expect they will allow the football teams to start training at the same time ( just like they are doing in Germany ) - cricket will prob start at some stage after as well

Depends on what you mean - club comps can happen , already processes in place to allow that to happen

Much depends on whether there is the time, inclination and political will to consider each sport on its merits. Golf has a strong case but it also has an image and reputation that would not read well in the press if golfers were allowed to continue when others were not. I can see the headlines now 'elitist golfers allowed to continue whilst others remain isolated in flats with no space to exercise'. This may not be an accurate reflection but it is just the sort of story that some news outlets would take on with glee, another example of tories looking after the upper echelons. Running, walking and cycling are recognised forms of exercise whereas some still do not class golf as exercise due to the stop start nature and, again, those do not have the same stigma attached that golf does.

There is also a difference between letting professional teams train (small numbers, potential for testing and isolating those involved etc) and opening up a sport to a whole country. How do you control people picking up a set of cheap clubs and heading out for the local course just to get out in the sunshine. Do you only allow club members to golf, I can see the elitist argument hoving into view again if that were the case.

I agree, as part of a wider package of sporting measures it would not raise an eyebrow but as a solo measure applied just to one sport, it may cause issues.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Monday 1st June.... no comps, no bunker rakes, inverted hole cups, no cards, no green fees, no clubhouse.................. no idea really! But here's hoping!
Played just the one round with the inverted hole cups and really didn't get on with them. But wont be complaining when we get back on course.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If the government allow golf to start up under social distancing guidelines as per before lockdown do you really think she would overrule that ?

A lot of taking the note from the medical yesterday talking about social distancing being around longer meaning that golf won’t start up etc. They have said from the start that some sort of social media distancing will carry on for a while - but businesses etc will work within those guidelines to the best of their ability - and those guidelines will change over each month until it gets to a stage where there will be very minimal guidelines of any ( which could take 6 months etc )

I reckon I'm pretty good at social media distancing already ???