What's your longest iron?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not religious man per say, but when I'm 195 yards out and looking down at an iffy lie in the semi rough, I bless myself and thank the good lord for my hybrid.

6 iron longest (5 iron loft really)

sunshine

Visit site
Half the fun of the game is working things out. Our course is playing so fast at present a 200 yard shot might be a 9 iron although if the wind switches it might be everything you have and thats when these sort of stats become meaningless.

This is a links right? Windy, rock hard fairways, bumps and hollows. All about feel and guesswork.

All the rounds measured on my app are at my home course: a lush parkland with watered fairways and greens. Not much roll, not much wind, but elevation changes. Approaches stick when they hit the green so the yardages reflect carry (+ a bit roll). With the wet summer this year my course is looking really green all over so distances do have some meaning.

sunshine

Visit site
Not tempted to leave 3, 4 and 5 in the garage? 6 seems to do the same job for you. Even if you ignore the average, the max difference is minimal.

The stats would suggest this. But it’s only 5 rounds so far so not enough data yet. I know I reach for my 3 iron when into the wind, so I would expect the average to be down a bit compared to the 4.

I also know the max distance with the 6 iron was a shot which hit a downslope and rolled out to 200 yards, but the max distance 3 iron was about 204 carry and 2 yards roll.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Callaway 1 iron, bought it around 4 years ago to play Royal County Down, it's stayed in the bag ever since. It goes about as far as my 5w but not as balloony when there is wind about. I use it off maybe 4-5 tees each week where driver is just too risky.