What's the difference?

D

Deleted member 1147

I totally disagree with this statement.

The difference is only 1 shot. Hardly massive. The difference between scratch and 4 is huge but between scratch and 1 is not a huge gulf. I've played with scratch golfers who are simply sublime, everything they do is absolute class. On the odd occasion that they get out of position its a simple shot to get back into position/play. The course management is excellent. Likewise with 1 handicap golfers.

CSS & SSS at certain clubs also make it easier to maintain that level of handicap. I've played with better 1 handicap golfers who are members of tough courses than scratch golfers who play at "easier" courses.

People who play big amateur events also have an advantage at keeping their handicaps low - for example the Lytham Trophy, the CSS is often several shots over par or even reductions only. As such they can be kept almost artificially low.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
id say difference between a 20 handicapper and a 10 handicapper is dispersion of shots.. 20 will be more over the place where as a 10 handicapper will be much more consistent

a difference between a 10 handicapper and scratch will be chipping, putting and mental side of the game

they will chip closer.. putt less and if they make a mistake they will find a way to make it as least costly as possible. then look to make up for the mistake

Some very valid points in here. I'd say the mental side of the game is an overlooked aspect for all levels though (something I'm looking into at the moment). We have some single figure guys that can't hit our 400+ yard holes in two, have agricultural swings but will chip and putt you to death and when you tot up their scores, they are rarely over buffer. You sit in the bar wondering how. They've been out driven by you,and they are using 3/5 woods for so many second shots. What you fail to realise is a) they have a stock shape and rarely hit it in trouble b) they know how to use their shots c) their short game and putting are so solid and reliable

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure it's that relevant to the thread, but kinda linked to what the coach said.

I played on Tuesday, with Richard Bland in the group behind me. Found out yesterday he shot 27 on the back 9, and he probably wasn't even trying. Every tee shot of his was pretty much in the perfect place and he was peppering the flag the majority of the time too.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Watched DJ in us open last night he hit 3 greens in 9 holes and was 2 under,
Thats the difference , I am off 5 and hit 6 greens on the front nine today but was 3 over .
He is doing it on one of the worlds hardest courses set up as hard as they can get it.
He would murder my course.

We have a couple of scratch lads and to be honest they don’t have textbook swings but they don’t get in trouble much and know how to score.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I played with Blue in Munich yesterday, he's mid single handicap I'm 12. I was awful off the tee and didn't play near to 12, couldn't diagnose the fault until I got to the range today.

BIM however was steady off the tee, chipped pretty well but didn't look like missing a putt all afternoon and I think he'd agree that scratch golf would be really difficult for him. Even when he hit poorer shots he still usually had a par putt but, for me, a scratch golfer, rarely makes a mistake and makes more birdies as a result.

Drive4show's friend Louise is a scratch lady golfer and she makes it look so easy!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I played with Blue in Munich yesterday, he's mid single handicap I'm 12. I was awful off the tee and didn't play near to 12, couldn't diagnose the fault until I got to the range today.

BIM however was steady off the tee, chipped pretty well but didn't look like missing a putt all afternoon and I think he'd agree that scratch golf would be really difficult for him. Even when he hit poorer shots he still usually had a par putt but, for me, a scratch golfer, rarely makes a mistake and makes more birdies as a result.

Drive4show's friend Louise is a scratch lady golfer and she makes it look so easy!

No Chris, scratch golf wouldn't be difficult for me; it would be nigh on bloody impossible. I don't practice with any great regularity, there are some issues in my game but I get away with it by managing my game well, as another former put it; knowing what I can and can't do, and playing to that.

I might if I worked a bit harder at it drag myself into Cat 1, but I'd rather play. There's more chance of me winning the lottery than playing scratch golf.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Tonight again for me its consistency, booming drives up 2 and 3, on in 2 at par 5 2nd, 3 putt par. Big drive down 3 with a flick for my second, caught it thin, back bunker, bogey, scratch players just don't have that inconsistency.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going from my point of view it is the ability to make scores. When I left the UK I was floating between 8/9 and couldn't get any lower for many years. Now I play off 3 and I do not hit the ball any better than when I was off 9, in fact I probably hit my driver 20 - 30 yards shorter and have to take more club when going at the green.

The big difference has been that I now play better golf and know how to keep the big scores off my card. When I was in California I played a few times with a lad who played NCAA division 1 college golf. BTW he is the best player I have ever teed it up with.

Second time we went out he asked if could guide me round and tell me what to do. I said what the hell, after all first time I played with he shot 5 under. So every shot he asked me what I was going to do, then he told me what to do. I shot 75 on a 74.3 index course. From that day on I have played far better golf.

So anyway slightly off topic there, but IMO a scratch golfer knows the right shot to play and doesn't make stupid mistakes throwing away shots, as well as having a solid consistent swing. The 10 handicapper has the ability, but can make stupid mistakes. The 20 handicapper lacks consistency and can have some stupid blow up holes from poor decisions.