What's the best value course here (if any)?

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Royal County Down (aka Newcastle) is a magnificent track, a genuine travel one errand to play course. It is quirky, with some blind shots, and on a windy day will test every facet of your game, but still an unforgettable experience. It has a number of postcard photo holes including the 4th par-3 and the famous 9th par-4 with the Mournes in the background. A couple of the best holes are on the back 9, the par-4 13th and 15th, two quite different but very demanding holes.

Stay at the Slieve Donard Hotel next door.
Or you could save almost the cost of your round by staying at the Donard a couple of hundred yards away. ?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Those prices are quite eye opening. Makes you wonder how many folk actually pay the full visitor rate though and how many get xyz discount
(I remember standing behind someone in the pro shop forking out about €190pp for their round when I was paying about a quarter of that)

I wish it were different but the only time I've forked out numbers like that for golf was when it included a 2 night stay in hotel

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Golfs in a wierd position in the UK. Probably most of the world outstide of the US.

Anybody can turn up at any if the most prestigious, famous, historical and revered venues, and for £350 crack on.

Really, thats amazing.

If i was a musician, how much would I pay for a 3 hour set at the Royal Opera house, if i was a footballer, how much would i pay for 90 minutes on wembley, if i was a car enthusiast, how much would i pay to drive an f1 round monaco....

For me the fact you can play on the best courses in the world for the same price as a two night stay at a bed and breakfast is fantastic.

We're just put off because its doubled in a year... which makes me feel like i should have done more weekends away a few years ago!

But should we consider these courses in the same way as Wembley or the Royal Opera House?

Let's not forget that most of these courses were built as courses for golfers, not as championship venues.

It's only over time that they have become associated with certain events, such as the Open Rota courses, and we now tend to think of them as on a footing with Wembley or Lords, which were built from the off as grounds for their respective teams.

Yes, great events are played on these courses but they're still, in most cases, public accessible golf courses.
A better analogy night be possible if say, Liverpool played their home games on the local recreation park and we could, as amateur footballers, play on the same ground.

Visit site
It’s probably worth mentioning as well, these prices look like the absolute peak prices.

Whilst RCD was listed as about £185 on their website, when I booked over the phone they quoted £165. I have no idea why and wasn’t going to question it.

Who really chooses to play these courses in mid-Summer at weekends during peak times?

Most will have a lower rate for weekdays, twilights or county cards.

Example: I am playing St Enodoc, Trevose, Saunton East and Burnham & Berrow next week.
it was £125, £90, £90 and £130 respectively. £435 on green fees. All midweek, 2pm ish tee offs.

At peak times, you’d pay £135, £105, £130, £155 respectively. £525.

Almost 20% “saving” - so using that logic, I’d argue you could take 20% off the prices in OP’s post to get a better reflection on what you would actually pay.

D

Deleted member 3432

Remember playing at Gullane in April a few back.
No 3 in the morning was lovely but No 1 in the afternoon was miserable, raining, the temp plummeted and the wind picked up. We couldn't feel our hands by the time we finished.

Don't remember a single thing about the course after going up the hill to the 2nd green.

Day before at Dunbar was decent weather and really enjoyed the course. Moral of this is I don't know if Gullane 1 is any good as the conditions on the day ruined the experience. Won't be returning to test again as I know it's not a 200 quid track.

D

Deleted member 3432

It’s probably worth mentioning as well, these prices look like the absolute peak prices.

Whilst RCD was listed as about £185 on their website, when I booked over the phone they quoted £165. I have no idea why and wasn’t going to question it.

Who really chooses to play these courses in mid-Summer at weekends during peak times?

Most will have a lower rate for weekdays, twilights or county cards.

Example: I am playing St Enodoc, Trevose, Saunton East and Burnham & Berrow next week.
it was £125, £90, £90 and £130 respectively. £435 on green fees. All midweek, 2pm ish tee offs.

At peak times, you’d pay £135, £105, £130, £155 respectively. £525.

Almost 20% “saving” - so using that logic, I’d argue you could take 20% off the prices in OP’s post to get a better reflection on what you would actually pay.

Head up to Silloth and go round as many times as you can manage for £75 ?

Mandofred

Visit site
A different way of looking at it.....I could pay my membership and only play once or twice a year.....(there was a guy in the pro shop a couple of weeks that this applies to)....£600-1200 a round!!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Value? Haha, that word has no place here. I can't imagine ever spending upwards of 100 quid on a round of golf. Even to spend 100 would have be a very exceptional circumstance. These prices are just fantasy land.

As others have said, I couldn't live with myself if I paid that and then played crap. Would be beating myself up for a month.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Value can also be perceived by what your disposable income is as well.
What might be expensive for one person might not for the next.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The 10 most expensive peak green fees in the UK..

As much as I'd love to play Co Down I'm not sure I could part with £300 for the privilege
None of them are value. I get that Americans have driven the price sky high, but I would never pay that for my golf, indeed they are all more than my annual fees

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As is so often the case, people seem to think value has to mean cheap. Value is a highly misused word. These are all exceptional courses and they are all good value in the market of exceptional courses.

DCB

Visit site
As long as we keep paying the prices, the top courses will keep raising the visitor fee. I remember baulking at paying £65 for RCD back in 2000, I thought I'd catch it next time we were over. By then it had doubled in price. Now things have just gotten silly. Whilst it would ne nice to play those courses in the OP, I'm afraid I'll not be forking out that sort of money for a round of golf ?

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
How so?
Is there a deal through the hotel?
Las
How so?
Is there a deal through the hotel?
Not any deals, it's just that the Sleive Donard is a very expensive hotel. I imagine it gets the higher end American visitors etc
The last time I stayed in Newcastle it was about £180 a night more than the Donard Hotel along the road.