What's the best value course here (if any)?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, once you get over three figures, the concept of "value for money" in terms of playing a round of golf disappears out of the window.

You either want the experience of playing such courses and are willing to shell out the money to do so....or you do not.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
This thread makes me pleased to have played these courses 20 years ago for more sensible money.

That said, went back to Birkdale this year in March, paid £185 and didn't quibble over it. I don't have many vices, so playing a few places like that is one of them.

Shelled out £225 to play Rye a couple of weeks ago...and would do so again without hesitation.

That said, the above courses are miles cheaper than those quoted!:eek:

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
At the end of the day, once you get over three figures, the concept of "value for money" in terms of playing a round of golf disappears out of the window.

You either want the experience of playing such courses and are willing to shell out the money to do so....or you do not.
There is still a very big difference between £100 and well over £300.
One I can imagine paying on an occasional basis for an experience, the other is personally a bit beyond me.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The RCD course is also used by a local town club, The Mourne Golf Club whose clubhouse is separate from the grand RCD and is much more relaxed and friendly. They used to host an Open Week each year where the course was presented in great condition and you could play various comps, single, versus par, four balls etc for much less than the green fee. In the 90s, I think it was about £20.

evemccc

Visit site
This thread makes me pleased to have played these courses 20 years ago for more sensible money.

That said, went back to Birkdale this year in March, paid £185 and didn't quibble over it. I don't have many vices, so playing a few places like that is one of them.

Shelled out £225 to play Rye a couple of weeks ago...and would do so again without hesitation.

That said, the above courses are miles cheaper than those quoted!:eek:

Agreed..I’ve played a ridiculous number of good courses in a pretty short space of time…Though the downside is there is a very slight truth to ‘law of diminishing returns’ - the more you play (esp quickly) the less you appreciate it, I’m very happy with my experiences that I’ve had and got some great memories

As much as possible I played twilights and Opens and winter rates, and I’ve been lucky with the winter weather I’ve had!!

I have hugely prioritised golf in my disposable income, and I have no regrets at all. I did so because 1) I enjoyed it a lot 2) Covid and can’t / couldn’t travel 3) awareness that GFs have and will go up — but also that some top clubs are starting to limit winter golf to non-members ?

Eg. Formby is, as of this winter, no longer having winter GFs. Royal Troon is the same

EDIT:
I did think they would all be ‘once in a lifetime’ but I think as I enjoy golf so much I will continue to do 1 or 2 treat-courses a year going forward

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Once the green fee gets over £100.00 I will start weighing up the pros and cons.
I'd hate to fork out £500.00 for a day at Sunningdale and play like an absolute bell end.
I'd rather shoot 3 over around Chartham Park for £40.00. I'd certainly enjoy myself more.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For a lot of clubs who are members clubs its a balancing act to allow visitors to come but not infring on member tee times. Over the last few years there has been a big increase in overseas golfers wanting to play the top courses in Scotland, increasing the visitor fee allows these clubs to generate revenue without infringing on member times. My club at the moment is rammed. We can by increasing the visitor fees get more revenue with less impact on member timed. I'm sure most clubs who are in the same boat.

Visit site
Looks superb!

My questions are: 1) would you recommend April, how was course condition, greens etc, do you think you could get away with playing it in March at a similar condition?

2) Were caddies mandatory? Did they add a lot? Did they make you go lower than otherwise?

3) Was it a hard course?

Thanks

I played on 29th April, I can’t believe I didn’t screenshot the weather forecast but it was approx 20 degrees, the wind was 2mph, gusting at 5mph, and the course was in absolutely perfect condition. I don’t think there is more idyllic weather possible, but had it rained and been howling winds? I suspect it would have lessened my experience.

The caddy added a lot - he has been on the job for 25+ years, helped me with some start lines and landing zones to get in cosy to the flags and helped me navigate the greens. A fore caddy is mandatory for the group, but we had 2 individual caddies in our group so no fore caddy necessary. It was £60+tip I believe, so I gave £100 and that was probably generous.

Is it tough? I think if you didn’t bring your A game (ball striking + keeping it straight) I think it could be incredibly tough. Luckily I played quite well and Lady Luck was on my side when I hit a bad one, so that always helps with viewing a course fondly or not.

It was first class. As I arrived at the clubhouse in the morning, I was met by a staff member who took my bag off me to place it onto a buggy, where I was driven off to the driving range - he then hung around waiting to drive me back to the clubhouse. It was very welcoming, I was shown all the facilities and just fell in love with the place.

The front 9 must be the best 9 holes in the world.
I started par-par-par, and then tripled the iconic par 3 4th hole (pictured above) ?

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Royal Lytham a couple months ago - friendly senior's team match a few weeks before it hosted the Amateur Championship.

Paid £15, including a 2 course meal - thats real value :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I can beat that:) Tea before hand, play the match and then tea and cake after at £0 Like you played it just before the Amateur Championship. It's the 4th time I've played there now like that.

AliMc

Visit site
For a lot of clubs who are members clubs its a balancing act to allow visitors to come but not infring on member tee times. Over the last few years there has been a big increase in overseas golfers wanting to play the top courses in Scotland, increasing the visitor fee allows these clubs to generate revenue without infringing on member times. My club at the moment is rammed. We can by increasing the visitor fees get more revenue with less impact on member timed. I'm sure most clubs who are in the same boat.
Correct Patrick, Dunbar is the same lots of visitors just now, club must be taking a fair bit revenue

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Correct Patrick, Dunbar is the same lots of visitors just now, club must be taking a fair bit revenue
We are already almost fully booked in our visitor times for next year, mind the club needs the money to make up the short fall from the cost of the course update that cost well over £1million

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Golfs in a wierd position in the UK. Probably most of the world outstide of the US.

Anybody can turn up at any if the most prestigious, famous, historical and revered venues, and for £350 crack on.

Really, thats amazing.

If i was a musician, how much would I pay for a 3 hour set at the Royal Opera house, if i was a footballer, how much would i pay for 90 minutes on wembley, if i was a car enthusiast, how much would i pay to drive an f1 round monaco....

For me the fact you can play on the best courses in the world for the same price as a two night stay at a bed and breakfast is fantastic.

We're just put off because its doubled in a year... which makes me feel like i should have done more weekends away a few years ago!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Golfs in a wierd position in the UK. Probably most of the world outstide of the US.

Anybody can turn up at any if the most prestigious, famous, historical and revered venues, and for £350 crack on.

Really, thats amazing.

If i was a musician, how much would I pay for a 3 hour set at the Royal Opera house, if i was a footballer, how much would i pay for 90 minutes on wembley, if i was a car enthusiast, how much would i pay to drive an f1 round monaco....

For me the fact you can play on the best courses in the world for the same price as a two night stay at a bed and breakfast is fantastic.

We're just put off because its doubled in a year... which makes me feel like i should have done more weekends away a few years ago!

You are right. Playing one of these fine courses should be regarded like dining at a Michelin star restaurant and having a go at the wine list. A rare but memorable treat.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fantastic courses which will provide an experience that will live long in the memory....
But there's no "value" in the amount they're charging, regardless of whether it's justified or not.
I'd also not want to play poorly...obviously you don't know that in advance but to pay 300+ and chop it around would blacken the day for me.
Yesterday I played so poorly that I couldn't wait to get off the course....if I'd paid over 300 quid to say that I'd be more than a bit morose....

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Fantastic courses which will provide an experience that will live long in the memory....
But there's no "value" in the amount they're charging, regardless of whether it's justified or not.
I'd also not want to play poorly...obviously you don't know that in advance but to pay 300+ and chop it around would blacken the day for me.
Yesterday I played so poorly that I couldn't wait to get off the course....if I'd paid over 300 quid to say that I'd be more than a bit morose....

That says more about you than the course. ?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site

On the other hand, taking many shots allows you to experience even more of the course, like sampling more of the menu. What is the point of playing Carnoustie and not visiting JvdV's watery grave?

evemccc

Visit site
On the other hand, taking many shots allows you to experience even more of the course, like sampling more of the menu. What is the point of playing Carnoustie and not visiting JvdV's watery grave?

Making sure i get my ‘money’s worth’ when i play golf is the only reason why I’m not a scratch golfer - more shots = more value I’ve had?