• chip and 3 putt

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • the same

Votes: 8 11.1%

• Total voters

UlyssesSky

Head Pro
Visit site
So you hit a nice drive down the middle and a nice second shot which just comes up a bit short. You then fluff the chip and 3 putt. How will that affect your next shot 2 mins later on the next tee?

You can recover from a bad drive but you cant from a 3 putt.

Seems like we're quite different. Fluffing a chip and then 3 putting will annoy me, but only until I reach the next tee. It may even fire me up to go and make up for it on the next hole.

The reason why a chip and three putt won't bother me too much while a drive out of bounds will is that I know that bad chipping and putting isn't a technical issue but rather a matter of concentration (or lack thereof). A bad drive comes from a swing flaw, and especially if it comes out of the blue reminds me that I shouldn't trust my driving too much...
I can't remember hitting two terribly bad chip shots in a row, or making two 'unforced' three putts in a row, but I know I've hit drives out of bounds or into deep trouble on consecutive holes. Heck, I've even managed to hit two drives to the exact same spot out of bounds on the same hole within 2 minutes...

So you see, for me bad driving is something that always seems to be lurking just around the corner of the next tee, and hitting a bad drive can easily destroy the confidence from the last couple of good drives.

If someone had the putting yips and the three putt was the result of a missed short putt, I'd guess he'll see the chip and three putt scenario as much worse.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Seems like we're quite different. Fluffing a chip and then 3 putting will annoy me, but only until I reach the next tee. It may even fire me up to go and make up for it on the next hole.

The reason why a chip and three putt won't bother me too much while a drive out of bounds will is that I know that bad chipping and putting isn't a technical issue but rather a matter of concentration (or lack thereof). A bad drive comes from a swing flaw, and especially if it comes out of the blue reminds me that I shouldn't trust my driving too much...
I can't remember hitting two terribly bad chip shots in a row, or making two 'unforced' three putts in a row, but I know I've hit drives out of bounds or into deep trouble on consecutive holes. Heck, I've even managed to hit two drives to the exact same spot out of bounds on the same hole within 2 minutes...

So you see, for me bad driving is something that always seems to be lurking just around the corner of the next tee, and hitting a bad drive can easily destroy the confidence from the last couple of good drives.

If someone had the putting yips and the three putt was the result of a missed short putt, I'd guess he'll see the chip and three putt scenario as much worse.

I disagree (politely). For me, averaging only 46% of fairways in 2015, I was always capable (still am) of going OOB but my whole ethos this year is to trust my game and the work I'm doing. I take stock from the fact that even a pro can go OOB and so I am trying not to see it as a swing fault and just a poor shot. A chip and a three putt is harder for me to take, given the hours I've dedicated to finding a chipping technique that works (and then having trust in it) and the fact I work hard on my putting. Neither ultimately are the end of the world to me any more but the chip/putt just gnaws away at me more

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OOB for me. Both cost 2 shots (if it was an easy ish chip) but going OOB you're still standing there with the same shot to play.

Soft hands

Assistant Pro
Visit site
OOB for me as its a lot more likely for me to do than to chip and 3 putt. Short game is about the only thing holding my game together at the min.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Both, it's either a bad sign for the rest of the hole or it's a disappointing end to what could have been. Both are terrible and need a metaphorical kick in the goolies.

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Tee shot for me. We have a few holes where it's very easy to go oob off the tee and it can really mess with your head (and has mine a few times).

If I chip and 3 putt I can deal with that more easily than hacking one oob.

G

guest100718

they are just things that can happen in a round, even the best go OOB and 3 putt.. Biggest killer for me is poor shot selection.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
OB for me, as I can quite easily hit the second drive OB as well.:eek: At least with a chip and three putt the hole is over. I usually chip and at least two putt so no big deal. Drive OB will not make me feel confident on the next hole, where as chip and three putts would have no lasting affect on me.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Chip and 3 putt every time. A bad swing happens at some point in the round, just unfortunate when it happens with a driver in hand so can deal with it.

A 3 putt is bad enough, but when you have had a chip first, it feels more like a 4 putt, which is 2 shots too many. More of a head messer to me.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I've gone for 'the same' but I think OOB would edge it just

Both are as destructive to my score on the hole but I'd rarely make any points after an OOB, so mentally at least with a 3-putt I've managed to play the hole believing I can score

D

Deleted member 1147

OOB for me. Both cost 2 shots (if it was an easy ish chip) but going OOB you're still standing there with the same shot to play.

This.

You would hope to be getting closer, with every shot when chipping & putting. But the OOB still leaves you x hundred yards from the hole, where even more trouble could follow.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nothing worse than out of bounds. You may as well not even have hit the ball.

Complete waste. Even a duffed chip goes closer to the hole most of the time.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
OOB off the tee for me. It stays in my head longer, probably effects every tee shot for the rest of the round as I do have a tendency to slice when driving badly. I can remember the hole where I went OOB at the weekend but can't remember the worst short game hole.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Nothing worse than out of bounds. You may as well not even have hit the ball.

Complete waste.

On the other hand, the outcome of the hole is still in your hands.
You could switch to the 3 wood and still make bogey.
Even if you make par with your second ball you can still take that positive thought to the next tee. After all, it was just a one off, one careless swing.

However, taking 4 to get down from the edge is just a waste, after the hard bit has been done. It's hard to take a positive thought to the next tee after that lot.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
OB for me, as I can quite easily hit the second drive OB as well.:eek: At least with a chip and three putt the hole is over. I usually chip and at least two putt so no big deal. Drive OB will not make me feel confident on the next hole, where as chip and three putts would have no lasting affect on me.

Absolutely this ^for me too.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went out of bounds first 2 shots yesterday. Wasnt particularly upset as both where decent strikes especially the first. Gave me the confidence to go on and have a decent round of the tee.

I was about ten yards off the green last year, duffed two chips, finally got it on the green and sank the putt. This still grinds me even now.