What would you putt with if you broke your putter?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Will he get a warning or fine for that? Pretty sure he’ll of gauged a big hole where smashed his putter down!

I’ve managed 1000’s of rounds without deliberately smashing or bending a club so I’ll stick with my putter for putts... although if something accidentally happened I think I’d try using my 19deg hybrid.

It is the Masters not a PGA event just co sanctioned so I expect a polite word rather than a fine if anything.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
50 degree wedge. It has a straight ish leading edge, and I putt with it quite often if I can't be bothered to get my putter out of the bag.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
If he has broke it through temper, maybe a 2 shot penalty might make him and others think about what there doing, what example there setting. Put lobbing clubs in that bracket as well.
Another thing, he deliberately broke it, I would make a ruling that you are not allowed to change the club for the rest of the tournament.
Me it would probably be a hybrid or 5 iron.

Mandofred

Visit site
Just isn't that big of a deal. He lost his putter for the rest of the round. I don't want tournaments to be full of really boring perfectly lovable golfers.....boring as poop.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pity that Kim did not know the rules he could have carried on using the putter. Mind you he did not do that badly with the 3 wood.
I thought if you bent the club at all then it counted as adjustment and thus couldn't be used? He couldn't be sure if he'd bent it or how much I guess?

D

Deleted member 29109

I thought if you bent the club at all then it counted as adjustment and thus couldn't be used? He couldn't be sure if he'd bent it or how much I guess?
I think that rule was changed.

Boomy

Visit site
Just isn't that big of a deal. He lost his putter for the rest of the round. I don't want tournaments to be full of really boring perfectly lovable golfers.....boring as poop.

It should be a reasonably big deal... it’s not what golf is about and especially at Augusta! Yes, play with passion, determination, drive and an exhibition of skills - they are there to win... not potty mouthed outbursts and smashing clubs like a petulant child.. if I wanted to watch that kind of nonsense I’d watch football. You should maybe watch boxing or cage fighting? I tend to watch the golf to see an exhibition of quality golf.

D

Deleted member 3432

It should be a reasonably big deal... it’s not what golf is about and especially at Augusta! Yes, play with passion, determination, drive and an exhibition of skills - they are there to win... not potty mouthed outbursts and smashing clubs like a petulant child.. if I wanted to watch that kind of nonsense I’d watch football. You should maybe watch boxing or cage fighting? I tend to watch the golf to see an exhibition of quality golf.

I'm always amazed how calmly they act on the course especially on course set ups that are as close edge of windmills and clowns as Augusta's greens appear to be.

Damaging a club through frustration is penalty enough for me, I'm sure on reflection the player with realise he has just done his chances no good at all.

Mandofred

Visit site
That is what you consider important.....I can understand that. I just happen to think watching calm, never upset, perfectly behaved people playing golf is really really boring. Don't get upset about it.... I just have a different view of golf than you do....it's not a crime. Life would be really boring if everybody was the same.....I mean, really boring. So you hate Rory McIlroy?
I don't......I can very much understand the feelings.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think only if you bent it by accident, in normal play. This wasn't in normal play.

2019 rule change

(2) Use or Repair of Club Damaged During Round. If a conforming club is damaged during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, the player normally must not replace it with another club. (For a limited exception when the player did not cause the damage, see Rule 4.1b(3)).
But no matter what the nature or cause of the damage, the damaged club is treated as conforming for the rest of the round (but not during a play-off in stroke play, which is a new round).
For the rest of the round, the player may:
• Continue to make strokes with the damaged club, or

Boomy

Visit site
That is what you consider important.....I can understand that. I just happen to think watching calm, never upset, perfectly behaved people playing golf is really really boring. Don't get upset about it.... I just have a different view of golf than you do....it's not a crime. Life would be really boring if everybody was the same.....I mean, really boring. So you hate Rory McIlroy?
I don't......I can very much understand the feelings.....

I don’t hate any of them... I just think things should be kept civilised and actions like that should have repercussions - that’ll help them focus on playing better golf ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
2019 rule change

(2) Use or Repair of Club Damaged During Round. If a conforming club is damaged during a round or while play is stopped under Rule 5.7a, the player normally must not replace it with another club. (For a limited exception when the player did not cause the damage, see Rule 4.1b(3)).
But no matter what the nature or cause of the damage, the damaged club is treated as conforming for the rest of the round (but not during a play-off in stroke play, which is a new round).
• Continue to make strokes with the damaged club, or
Oh, I didn't realise they changed that. If that's the case why didn't a single person tell Kim after the first time he putted with the wood??

Boomy

Visit site
I'm always amazed how calmly they act on the course especially on course set ups that are as close edge of windmills and clowns as Augusta's greens appear to be.

Damaging a club through frustration is penalty enough for me, I'm sure on reflection the player with realise he has just done his chances no good at all.

I don’t think damaging the club is any penalty to a pro at all - yes if we did that, it would be a penalty as we would have to pay for repairs or a new club - but he’ll just go to the tour van for a new shaft.

Mandofred

Visit site
2019 rule change

Continue to make strokes with the damaged club, or
That would make things interesting.......hitting drives with a possibly bent/damaged driver.