What would you do? Another slow play thread

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
are they a four ball to or a 2?
4 ball normally, the day they were a 2 was a one off it seems.

There was one day before we were a 3 and they were a 3 and we finished 2 holes ahead of them... was sitting having breakfast when they approached the 18th green

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All seems reasonable on your part.

I wouldn't offer him your slot permanently - just 1 round should do the trick!

Oh forgot to include earlier....3. Suggest HE discuss it with Club Management!

2nd hole should serve the same purpose as our 1st. 18th is not uncommon, nor unreasonable. If that's pretty much the only place where it happens, then all is fine imo. The guy does sound like a prat!

That is a good point.

It is only on certain holes were we do wait for the green to clear, sometimes on par 5’s if we get a good drive away but not that common. It is more like our 8th and 18th which are both long par 4’s which most people lay up to. So we wait for the green to clear and then there is a slight delay. But that delay is gone as they are then playing 2 shots into the green anyway.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
4 ball normally, the day they were a 2 was a one off it seems.

There was one day before we were a 3 and they were a 3 and we finished 2 holes ahead of them... was sitting having breakfast when they approached the 18th green
OK, how many groups in front of you?

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That is a good point.

It is only on certain holes were we do wait for the green to clear, sometimes on par 5’s if we get a good drive away but not that common. It is more like our 8th and 18th which are both long par 4’s which most people lay up to. So we wait for the green to clear and then there is a slight delay. But that delay is gone as they are then playing 2 shots into the green anyway.
That is a good point.

There's also a difference between 'letting a faster group through' and 'having lost a hole'!

Waiting for the group in front to clear the green certainly indicates that you haven't 'lost a hole'. In fact that definition/description is a lot further adrift than simply being more than1 shot behind the group in front, that some folk believe to be sufficient! As for letting a faster group through, that doesn't seem to apply either as, imo, you have 1st priority getting through the 'slower' group in front of you - if they truly are 'slow' enough to warrant it (as, imo, they, likewise, have first option geting through....in front of them)!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
4 groups- first one out at 6.52 although sometimes go off a few mins earlier

On captains day we went out 2 mins late (not great considering we are the 5th group) but we did have a starter
in that case.... either swap times with them or just tell him to go forth;)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
There's also a difference between 'letting a faster group through' and 'having lost a hole'!

Waiting for the group in front to clear the green certainly indicates that you haven't 'lost a hole'. In fact that definition/description is a lot further adrift than simply being more than1 shot behind the group in front, that some folk believe to be sufficient! As for letting a faster group through, that doesn't seem to apply either as, imo, you have 1st priority getting through the 'slower' group in front of you - if they truly are 'slow' enough to warrant it (as, imo, they, likewise, have first option geting through....in front of them)!
Completely agree. I wouldn’t say that the group behind us are faster as we are waiting as well.
At times it may look like we are slightly behind. For example, our par 5 12th hole. On Saturday we waiting for the green to clear to hit our second shots. By the time we made it to the 13th the group in front were putting. They moved on as we left the tee.

The next hole is a par 3 where we waited a few mins to tee off as they cleared the green. So clearly we catch up rather quickly.

I wouldn’t say the group in front are slow either as we are getting round in 3 hours 45 mins.

Going to see what happens on Saturday, part of me is expecting him to apologise but tbh I can’t see that happening

D

Deleted Member 1156

If he is bigger than you apologise and say you will try to speed up. If he is smaller than you deck him.

Should resolve the problem methinks :unsure:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
In essence your start and finish times will be on your scorecards. Don't matter what he moans about if it's sub four hours. He is whinging. In our toilets at the club is a list of how long each hole should take be it a par3,4, or 5. Our course has four par 3's and four par 5's. I am sure I read it should take 3 hrs 45. Agree with switching tee times. Bottom line is, you have let folk know. Enjoy your golf and don't let the plank spoil your golf.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What I would say to him, I couldn't print here. Sounds such a uuuummmmm I'm pretty sure I would slow down a little

Fabia999

Visit site
You're not doing anything wrong and he's went on about it in the worst way. Tell him to go and complain to the club if he has a problem. I wouldn't even offer my tee slot. I'd only swap tee times with somebody who was nicer about it.

or.. send him a link to this thread!

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I really think the guy is just looking for someone to blame, unfortunately he has picked the wrong group to try and bully around as we aren't going to take it.

Will see how he reacts on Saturday, actually looking forward to it.

Hopefully we see the rest of his 4ball during the week as they normally tee off after work just before or after us - will definitely be raising it with them.

Not going to let it bother me any more

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played this morning ahead of them again.

Funnily enough, there was only 3 of them waiting on the tee yet the 4th had been seen in the pro shop.

We tee'd off and made our way down the tee box and see him hiding round the corner. Not one word mentioned :ROFLMAO:

Maybe what was said to him last Saturday evening has finally sunk in.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Played this morning ahead of them again.

Funnily enough, there was only 3 of them waiting on the tee yet the 4th had been seen in the pro shop.

We tee'd off and made our way down the tee box and see him hiding round the corner. Not one word mentioned :ROFLMAO:

Maybe what was said to him last Saturday evening has finally sunk in.
Good, hopefully he will now reel his neck in. If he is gobbling off, I cannot see how his PP are happy with that or that they even agree with him. Otherwise they may well have chipped in. Again Like I say, your start and finish times are on the cards. If anyone sees them and sees they are not slow. He is making himself look a plank.

Last edited:

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Actually had a word with his PP on Wednesday. He was quite embarrassed by his actions and even said he had told him to calm down about it. He was not aware of the recent conversation though. No idea if he has had another word with him or not.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Actually had a word with his PP on Wednesday. He was quite embarrassed by his actions and even said he had told him to calm down about it. He was not aware of the recent conversation though. No idea if he has had another word with him or not.

And that does not suprise me one bit. Had an old PP who thought he was in charge, he would make comments like" nope there not going through", even though he was one the slowest.he felt as he was the longest player/golfer out of us all, it made him our spokesman.

robbeh32

Visit site
You're playing at a decent pace. Tell him to book earlier or play later in day. I would just laugh at anyone speaking to me like that.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This guy is what’s all wrong with golf , he is just a prat who likes the sound of his own voice.
Sounds like you have sorted him out.
But don’t let him win by giving your time up.
Just let him wait like everyone else.