What would you call it ?

Boabski

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
If you were in charge of the development department of a golf manufacturer, what name would you come up with for a new club?
when i see a new club being released i always wonder how they come up with the names and why.
i mean
what did R7 mean? where did they get it?
we had the FT3 and FT5 where did the FT7 go to before the FT9 we have now ?
i quite like the titleist way with number branding but what do you all think ?

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's obviously quite important, Boabski. I always thought the putter manufacturers come up with the good ones, like the Ping Anser etc.

Who would buy a club called the Mizuno Thud or the TaylorMade Twang. At least if they just call them by numbers and codes the Manufacturers don't have translational problems and they're easier to sell worldwide.

cm_qs

Head Pro
Visit site
I've come up with a few imaginative names for golf clubs over the years.

They always seem to start with "You useless...." and after that it's colourful variations on a theme. :D

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Spookily enough I got an email today from Callaway asking me to help with their research (registered on a website somewhere). I wnet to do it, and they were all questions about how I felt about a buch o names for a new product aimed at stopping on greens, and improving the strike. Names like Bite, Jaws, Piranha, Pure, Flex. And then questions about whether additional aspects "X-Piranha", "X3 Flex" etc would influence me. So it looks like they do actually research it.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
What about the Oddysey 3 putt? Thats what I would call mine.

Or the Scotty Cameron overdraft.