What would cause this?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Posted this in another thread last week (Montys S&T thread I think) and to be honest it's been plaing on my mind a little.

Here's a picture of my impact marks on my 9 iron from the range last week

temporary-14.jpg

Impact seems to be a little towards the toe.

I dont have this issue with other irons

6 iron:
temporary-16.jpg

7 iron:
temporary-17.jpg

8 iron:
temporary-15.jpg

Just seems to be my 9 iron and wedges.

Could the simple answer solution be to stand a little closer with these clubs?

Thanks in advance :thup:

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most likely. But you may also be swinging a tad out to in. As it only happens with the shorter clubs, where you swing more upright.
Looking at the ball marks they seem to get nearer to the toe as the club gets shorter. 6iron middle, 7iron just off middle, 8iron a bit more, up to the 9iron which as you say is near the toe.

Last edited:

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Most likely. But you may also be swinging a tad out to in. As it only happens with the shorter clubs, where you swing more upright.

Dave, I originally thought this, however my typical flight with the 9 iron is straight or slightly right to left. A very slight push draw if I get it right, or starting straight and drawing left if I get it wrong. Obviously the balls draw is more with the longer clubs I.E 5 and 6 iron

If I were swinging out-to-in I would expect a different ball flight?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Think yourself lucky the ball marks are not the other side ;)

I wouldn't worry about it as an 18 handicap you won't be hitting every thing out the middle, i know i don't. :(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it as an 18 handicap you won't be hitting every thing out the middle, i know i don't. :(
Terrible approach when practicing imo. - though may good out on the course.

Hopefully, range work/analysis is with the intention of improving, not staying contentedly at current level - whatever that is.