What was your first set of irons?

phillarrow

Visit site
My first ever set of golf irons were second hand Slazenger Johnny Miller.
They were small, thin and beautiful. I had them for my first three years and I think they helped me become a better iron player... because I had to be!

I'm not sure if it's ego or nostalgia, but I'd still prefer to play with clubs that look like those if I could.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mine was a pretty basic set of Dunlop cavity back clubs, pre Ashley ownership. A good starter set. Upgraded when I knew I enjoyed the game and wanted to buy some that were a bit better.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
First set was a half set of Slazenger California from Mum's Freeman's catalogue.....Not sure they really count.
When I started playing "properly" in '93 I bought a package set of Howson DJ100s..surprisingly decent but.....
First "proper" set of irons were TopFlite Tour....back when TopFlite was a decent name in the game.
Those irons were used by the likes of Ronan Rafferty and Peter Baker - Ryder Cup players..

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Regal irons, 3 to SW that resembled Ping Eye 2s (in appearance only!), Fazer Firepower driver, 3w, 5w and a very odd no name putter that looked like a Zebra, but weighed 5 times more! It's a wonder I stuck with this game!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
First set was a half set of Slazenger California from Mum's Freeman's catalogue.....Not sure they really count.
When I started playing "properly" in '93 I bought a package set of Howson DJ100s..surprisingly decent but.....
First "proper" set of irons were TopFlite Tour....back when TopFlite was a decent name in the game.
Those irons were used by the likes of Ronan Rafferty and Peter Baker - Ryder Cup players..
You still play with a half set now! ??

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first irons were a half set of ladies clubs my father bought me when I was about 10 years old. I got the even numbered clubs and my brother got the odd numbered clubs. Even now, I prefer using even numbered clubs. My next set were Titleist DTRs which I bought in 1984 and my next set, which are current, are my 2009 Titleist AP2s. Three sets in over 50 years of playing golf!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A rag bag of mongrels, no two clubs the same make. The 5 iron had punch holes rather than grooves.

First new set of irons were Wilson 1200 GE, first good set Mizuno Pro Originals.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A set of Swilken of St Andrews cavity sole irons.
Probably not the most forgiving irons I could learn to play with, but all I could afford at the time. Found an example picture of them on ebay.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-103606_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-103606_eBay.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 2

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Quite boring as I only starting playing golf within the last 10 years. Started with a set of Cobra Baffler blades from the 80's I brought for £25

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My first set were hand-me-downs from my mate who got them off his dad. No idea what make but the single "wood" wood had a fake hickory wrap on the shaft.

My first bought set were some Wilson Langer, which were quickly followed by my first new set, Wilson 1200 GE.

D

Deleted member 3432

2nd hand John Letters Swingmaster when I was about 14 years old, before that cut down clubs

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A mish-mash of golfing cutlery with grips I could see my face in. Eventually upgraded to a set of Dunlop Peter Thomson including a 1 iron with no sweet spot.

putterman60

Visit site

when i needed some clubs for the pitch and putt i went to the charity shop and got a 6 and 8 iron Slazenger California !!!! they are good strong clubs

Skytot

Visit site
Pinseekers.
My mate worked at GUS - great universal store in Mcr and got me his discount of them .

putterman60

Visit site
When they used to have "GOLF SALE" In the local recreation centres i got a set of Accura irons that was in 1999....... i should have gone next door to Tesco and helped `her in doors` do the shopping instead lol

My American uncle gave me a set of Ben Hogan blades ,he was a darn good golfer

After that i wasted money on various clubs instead of lessons but hey ho