What was your favourite memory of junior golf?

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Didn't start playing until in 40's but my older brother and Dad fashioned a 9 hole course that criss crossed the garden. Longest hole was about 70 yards and shortest about 20. Very small bumpy greens with old coffee tins for the holes. Hours of endless fun on summer evenings

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I never took the game up til I was around 20. Growing up on a council estate in the 80's/90's golf wasn't as accessible back then as it is today.

although i'm about 10 years older than you, it was the same. I passed the scholarship exam to go the local posh school, many of my mates played golf cos their dads did. I am trying to remember how much Junior membership at Guildford would have been about 1976. I suspect I knew not to ask, as it would have been more than my folks could afford.

Although, we used to caddy occasionally at several clubs - that sparked the interest. When I watched Seve win at St Andrews in 1984 I was working for Nat West by then and I was in awe of him. I bought a second hand half set of Dunlop Blue Flash inc a bag for £40 out of the small ads in the "Surrey Ad" from a guy in Hindhead. Started on the Par 3 at Hoebridge...

DCB

Visit site
Some interesting comments about the cost of golf. Up here we were really lucky, everybody seemed to play golf. We had a variety of Muni courses where you could play for very little, most of those Muni's had clubs attached. I remember paying 5p for my round back in the mid 70s. A Saturday morning was a whopping 30 or 35p. A bit of a change nowadays, but, there are still Muni facilities available and members clubs are still reasonably priced for the ordinary golfer in many of our towns and cities.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of the prices quoted in here are unbelievable, imagine paying 20p for a round of golf. :LOL: Sure has shot up over the last 40 odd years..

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I remember at 13, I worked in the local butcher shop at the weekend, he was a golfer and said to me one day that I should give it a try. Unfortunately, wasn't accessible for me at the time. A few years later circa 1981, at age 16 I left school on exam leave prior to doing my O levels. On day 1 went with a mate to the local pitch and putt in Goff's Park (Crawley) and was hooked. Can't remember the fee, but was a few pence to rent a 7 or 8 iron, a putter and a ball. Played pretty much every day that summer (except exam days) until we started work in August, but who needed exam revision anyways......:rolleyes:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Having to walk the 2miles from home to Deaconsbank muni pulling my old rickety trolley behind me - down the busy main (Ayr) road and through Rouken Glen park. That walk I didn't mind - it was the walk back that was a pain (it was all uphill as well) - though I'd usually stop in quiet area of the park near the Ayr Rd gates and hit a ball or two...the ones with the big smiles/cuts so I could abandon them if a park keeper came along. Sometimes I got a lift from my mum. Then I'd leave my old trolley as I preferred carrying - trolleys were for the auld yins.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
When I joined my club as a junior back in 1973 we used to get a group lesson from the assistant pro every Saturday morning for 10p each. An annual 7 day season ticket cost us £45.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Junior Membership of Dunkeld & Birnam was £5/year (it's still only £20).

April to October my folks would regularly take us up to Dunkeld from Glasgow for the weekend, and we'd camp in a field adjacent to the course (my mum knew the farmer from when she was a girl) about where the 16th green is now - with fabulous views over to Loch of the Lowes.

When we only had a little time me and my brother would climb over a gate into the course and play a few holes or crawl under the gorse bushes looking for balls (we couldn't afford to buy balls and our new balls were generally limited to what Santa gave us in our Christmas stocking). I still have a great affection for that club and course and to this day it vies with Pitlochry for my affections.

My earliest golfing memory (I wouldn't have been 10) is of being taken to Ainsdale beach by my Uncle Les with a couple of clubs - one being a cut-down hickory-shafted niblick that became my 'chipper'. He played at Birkdale and Southport & Ainsdale but it was on Ainsdale sands (and the Southport pitch and putt) that he showed me how to hold a club and hit a ball. On the hard sand it was quite easy - in the sand dunes I discovered the problems of bunker play :)

Last edited: