What was your favourite memory of junior golf?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Arriving at Deaconsbank golf course in Glasgow at about 8am and not getting to tee off until about 2pm in the height of a beautiful summer.
We would take playing cards to pass the time.
The course itself is short (about par 64) and none of the tees had grass on them, just baked mud. The greens were probably rubbish and it had zero bunkers.
Did I care, no I didn't. Great memories, seems like yesterday.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Have just remembered a bloke called Duncan Ferguson turning up in a pair of Chelsea shorts in about 95˚ in June and being told to wear waterproof trousers.

DCB

Visit site
I grew up learning and playing on our local Muni, Silverknowes in Edinburgh. The long summer holidays saw us start out around 6-6:30am, half an hour before the starter came on shift. We'd play our round, head home and then head back for a booked tee time around 1:30, play a second round then go home for tea. If the weather was fair, it was back again the next day for the same routine.

D

Deleted member 1418

Have just put this together which has brought up a lot of fond memories at Wimbledon Park in the 80s which will soon be, sadly, for the knacker's yard

I was just up the road at London Scottish on Wimbledon Common!

Can still remember school summer holidays and a load of us juniors being dropped at the club by our parents around 7 in the morning on their way to work.

Spending all day up there, playing 3 rounds (sometimes 4!); being given a fiver(!) for food and drink; with the Secretary, Pro and members looking out for us.

The Pro also telling us to mind the shop whilst he went next door into his annexe to make (beautiful persimmon woods) and repair clubs. Payment for taking a few green fees and selling a few balls and tees were chocolate bars! Almost made us feel like club pros!!! ?

And then being picked up in the evening, getting home knackered, but looking forward to more of the same the following day.

Happy, happy days!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Only experience of Junior golf is from my first club.
2 kids joined with their dads but didn't want to play with them for some reason.
Me and a mate took them on regularly, they got better and started walloping us.
The lad is now off scratch at my new club
The lass is also there, plays off 5 and had a couple of years in the States on a Golf Scholarship which she sadly wasn't able to finish.
Like to think I had a hand in getting them going in the game .

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Playing at least 36 holes per day, from dawn to dusk, every day of my school summer holidays. Also remember the smaller ball and clubs with no sweet spot.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can still remember school summer holidays and a load of us juniors being dropped at the club by our parents around 7 in the morning on their way to work.

Spending all day up there, playing 3 rounds (sometimes 4!); being given a fiver(!) for food and drink; with the Secretary, Pro and members looking out for us.

The Pro also telling us to mind the shop whilst he went next door into his annexe to make (beautiful persimmon woods) and repair clubs. Payment for taking a few green fees and selling a few balls and tees were chocolate bars! Almost made us feel like club pros!!! ?

And then being picked up in the evening, getting home knackered, but looking forward to more of the same the following day.

Happy, happy days!
Were you playing off a single figure handicap in those days?

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
joined Shrewsbury Golf Club at 14 or 15 - left Shrewsbury to move to Kings Lynn at 16 so had somewhere between a year and two at Shresbury in 1984-1986. I remember the outrageous fee of £28 per year and from memory adult fees were near £200! Got my 28 handicap and down to 17 when i moved. Played a lot with Scott Drummond and my brother. little Scott was a very small kid about three or four years younger and his dad, a dour Scottish guy, would always walk round with us and was very strict on Scott. The kid was great, very small and short but every shot straight down the middle - if it wasn't his dad would voice his opinion! It was only when Scott Drummond won the comp at Wentworth a few years ago that i twigged it was the little kid i played with as a junior hacker many years ealier!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The first time I ever went on a course, at age 14 (or 15, I think) with my mum and dad on a local nine-holer, I got a chip-in birdie. It was a par three, can't remember the length of it, but it was probably short, I hit a 3 wood off the tee which was short of the green. Hit a chip and run which I tugged left of where I was aiming but the slope luckily brought it around and it went in! I'm not sure I've done this since. :LOL:

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

Happy, happy days!

Used to play there loads, was my first full round anywhere after a year at Sandown Park. Used to hate the both par-3 1sts. Still got my dad's pillar box red polo from the 80s!
When were you there?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
joined Shrewsbury Golf Club at 14 or 15 - left Shrewsbury to move to Kings Lynn at 16 so had somewhere between a year and two at Shresbury in 1984-1986. I remember the outrageous fee of £28 per year and from memory adult fees were near £200! Got my 28 handicap and down to 17 when i moved. Played a lot with Scott Drummond and my brother. little Scott was a very small kid about three or four years younger and his dad, a dour Scottish guy, would always walk round with us and was very strict on Scott. The kid was great, very small and short but every shot straight down the middle - if it wasn't his dad would voice his opinion! It was only when Scott Drummond won the comp at Wentworth a few years ago that i twigged it was the little kid i played with as a junior hacker many years ealier!

Played at Church Stretton a lot in the 80s as my cousins moved there, really liked Kings Lynn. Amazing to have played with a PGA winner. Our annual subs were £29, also joined a nine-holer in Wales where we went on holiday for £4 a year!

D

Deleted member 1418

Used to play there loads, was my first full round anywhere after a year at Sandown Park. Used to hate the both par-3 1sts. Still got my dad's pillar box red polo from the 80s!
When were you there?

Small world - played Sandown Park a few times as well! Main courses I played when I first started were Mitcham, Oaks Park and Addington Court.

London Scottish was the first club I was a member at! Think I was there around 86/87 to 89/90. Yes the majority of the par 3s were tough - we'll over 200+ yards and small greens. But loads of short par4s to make lots of birdies on.

And the pillar box red shirts and jumpers were quality - made by Glenmuir!

D

Deleted member 15344

I only played one round of golf as a junior- my dad was posted to RAF Buchan at the time and one of Civvy friends took us for a round at a local course- found out later it was Cruden Bay. After that didn’t play again until the odd social round whilst in the RAF and really only took the game up full time when I stopped playing hockey 10 years ago

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I got the bug around aged 15, my local course was Enville but couldn’t afford to be a member there so I made my own bits of course in a sheep field and whacked it around with an old persimmon driver and a 6 iron through an avenue of oak trees. Was gutted when the farm ploughed it up for crops instead.

Since then nothing has changed. Always playing out the rough and can’t putt. :D

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Small world - played Sandown Park a few times as well! Main courses I played when I first started were Mitcham, Oaks Park and Addington Court.

London Scottish was the first club I was a member at! Think I was there around 86/87 to 89/90. Yes the majority of the par 3s were tough - we'll over 200+ yards and small greens. But loads of short par4s to make lots of birdies on.

And the pillar box red shirts and jumpers were quality - made by Glenmuir!