What to work on as a beginner?

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only have the one stick to play with (I gave the other to my old man). I'm trying to gauge what distance I should be from the ball with the different clubs. So say if the stick is 6" in front of my toes, how much further from that would the ball be?

The sticks are there to help you line up rather than help determine how far away from the ball to stand.

Your pro will sort out your posture and ball position.

Tom Watson says in "The Timeless Swing" (Thank you Santa/Mrs MN - excellent book) that you shouldn't reach or feel cramped. Once you have adopted a balanced posture let your arms hang freely and then grip the club. You should be looking in at your hands not out at them. Your posture shouldn't change from club to club so the distance you stand from the ball will automatically change depending on the length of the club.

Chumpalot83

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The sticks are there to help you line up rather than help determine how far away from the ball to stand.

Your pro will sort out your posture and ball position.

Tom Watson says in "The Timeless Swing" (Thank you Santa/Mrs MN - excellent book) that you shouldn't reach or feel cramped. Once you have adopted a balanced posture let your arms hang freely and then grip the club. You should be looking in at your hands not out at them. Your posture shouldn't change from club to club so the distance you stand from the ball will automatically change depending on the length of the club.

Appreciate the advice. I can't wait to get back out there and get at it again! My putter arrived today too :D