What Shot?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
suntreesweb.JPG

I have this image as my computer wallpaper but cant work out what shot I would play if I was standing in the exact position?

Was thinking about trying to put it over the tree, but it looks like a beast of a tree!

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wow that is a tough one!

I think I would try pitch it and stay under (but as close too) the canopy as possible, so it carried the bunker and hopefully pulled up before it went through the green. 8 iron maybe

Notice, I did say try. In reality I would either
A) hit tree fall in bunker
B) Misjudge it, fall in bunker
C) Thin it, catch lip of bunker

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there is much chance of getting up and over that tree in such a short distance. I would most probably gamble with a lob wedge through a branch region that seems like it is pretty open and try a bit of a risk reward shot that is reliant on getting a break throguh the trees and not beeing sent straight down into the bunker. That way I would have a good chance of holding the green and getting it within 1 putt teritory. That would be the plan, in reality I would probably become phased by this idea, end up getting nervous, take a considerable amount of practice swings and then hit it fat causing the ball to end up in the bunker anyway.

It is difficult to see how much green you have to play with between the bunker and the flag as I may try a closed pitching wedge that pitches into the rough taking most of the balls momentum and then rolls down to the hole.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fantasy :probably try a pitch to the left edge of that green i.e. to the left of that tree just to get it on.

Reality: scull it into the first bunker, take three to get it out while blasting it behind the green then duff two chips back on, 3 putt and take 11 thinking i'd got off lightly

mick

Assistant Pro
Visit site
depnding on the height of the tree,i would probably try and go over the top,or to the left edge of the green just to leave myself a putt.

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'd be well impressed if I got it in the bunker - it'd mean I hit it reasonably straight.

As I don't have a handicap yet I would got broke and try and clear the tree.

B

birdieman

I'd go along Billy's lines, play the percentages, take your medicine and hit a zippy pitch from your back foot left of the tree then 2 putt and get out of there. The shot through or over the tree is fantasy - a 1 in 20 shot. You put yourself in bad position so damage limitation. :p

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
fantasy: probably 52 aiming toward the dip in the bunker and hoping to land it softly enough that it takes the slope down to the pin.

reality: the way I'm hitting the 52 at the moment, come off the toe to the right of the tree and with luck the next shot will be uphill to the pin.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
East peasy. Full on 5 iron, thinned into second tree from left. 45 degree ricochet, leaving a simple 3 foot putt. At least that's what I'd normally do. Suppose I could try the wedge, but can't really see it working....

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been known to land on the 10th green when playing the 2nd and the 2nd green when playing the 10th.

they will put these greens on the same course!

D

Deleted member 1147

In theory - I'd play left of the tree onto the putting surface and trust in a two putt par. :)

In practice - I'd lob wedge it straight over the tree next to the hole for a one putt birdie :p

Ken_A

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Open face SW/LW to pitch on LHS of green letting side spin create light fade which will spin right on landing. Then Putt (and probably another) Just imagine a bunker shot.

This method is quite safe - as you can get the wedge comfortably over the bunker and under the tree - but if miss hit you will probably stray off the green beyond the pin - thus the tree and bunker should not come into play. PS never think about ribbing the ball as it makes you thin it through the green - thus it is not an option.

Tho' if there was money or a match on the shot then chip to LHS and 2 putt!!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Pitch onto the cart path, with the bounce taking it over the bunker, and under the tree. A bit of luck and it might even go in the hole.

Need to have imagination in this game......