What Now for Scottish Golf?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
After last year's debacle where the chief exec quit and the members rejected the proposal to double the affiliation fee to fund a number of initiatives, the latest AGM last weekend ended in acrimony with the more modest £3.75 increase rejected and the chair calling out some of the sexism and misogyny she's been subjected to in the role.

This rejection in conjunction with reduced funding from Sport Scotland means the incoming chief exec will have to spend his first few weeks and months on further cost cutting rather than on initiatives to develop and grow the game.

Seems like they also need to do a lot to win "hearts and minds" of rank and file golfers who don't appreciate the role Scottish Golf plays in the game, and maybe knocking a few dinosaur heads together as well!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I personally wouldn't object to the increase and I don't think most would. The main concern for people is where has all the money gone? Scottish golf membership numbers are declining and the leadership from Scottish Golf has been pretty non-existant. When clubs are struggling they should be working on their behalf. But what they're seen as doing is saying "we need more money" without really proving what can be done with it.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally wouldn't object to the increase and I don't think most would. The main concern for people is where has all the money gone? Scottish golf membership numbers are declining and the leadership from Scottish Golf has been pretty non-existant. When clubs are struggling they should be working on their behalf. But what they're seen as doing is saying "we need more money" without really proving what can be done with it.

I’ve maybe not been close enough to the coal face but it seemed to me they were doing quite a lot after (finally) getting amalgamation through. Reading between the lines suggests that some have been resisting that sort of modernisation.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't know the circumstances but really, what did she expect in such a male dominated game, men will be men.

I have no idea what has gone on either, but let me take a wild stab in the dark on that one..... erm, maybe with dignity and respect?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve maybe not been close enough to the coal face but it seemed to me they were doing quite a lot after (finally) getting amalgamation through. Reading between the lines suggests that some have been resisting that sort of modernisation.

Any modernisation, in fact any change at all.

Cuts both ways in that context as well with the same issues being played out (or still to be played out!) in most clubs throughout the country from what I've seen.

Sad when the comment "men will be men" gets trotted out as any sort of defence, or even explanation.

DCB

Visit site
I don't know the circumstances but really, what did she expect in such a male dominated game, men will be men.

Given the rather fraught route that the two governing bodies have taken to get to this point, I don't think that this is the issue it once was. I certainly hope things can be driven forward in the right direction and further modernisation of our game's administration can progress. If the administration can't move forward as they should, club golf in Scotland is heading towards the precipice at an alarming rate. The future of our game is in their hands.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

I don't think abusing women is really part of "being a man". Fortunately, I think most men are better than that.

Back on topic, one of the main criticisms about Scottish Golf is that they spend too high a proportion of their income on "elite" golfers to the detriment of "ordinary" club golfers. Is that true, though? And don't we want to see Scottish golfers being successful at the top level? Is there no benefit back to participation and membership if "our" players are seen to be successful?

So is there something in that or is it just a bit of the green-eyed monster coming out?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back on topic, one of the main criticisms about Scottish Golf is that they spend too high a proportion of their income on "elite" golfers to the detriment of "ordinary" club golfers. Is that true, though? And don't we want to see Scottish golfers being successful at the top level? Is there no benefit back to participation and membership if "our" players are seen to be successful?

So is there something in that or is it just a bit of the green-eyed monster coming out?

I think truly elite golfers inspire people to take up the game so that is justifiable. Where might be questioned is very good, but not truly elite, golfers getting money for coaching, advice and everything else that goes with golf now, the backroom staff can be significant. If too much money goes into the latter group then they maybe more open to criticism.

Do you think they have the balance right? I don't know about golf in Scotland in that sense.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Good for her calling it out!

She has hinted at "stuff" but hasn't backed her claims.

Scottish Golf is as big a shambles as the SGU. This is her trying to hit back at local Golf Unions having a vote of no confidence. She should be firefighting not fanning the flames. They were well within their rights to question where the organisation is going and their should have been a vote of no confidence years ago.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Given the rather fraught route that the two governing bodies have taken to get to this point, I don't think that this is the issue it once was. I certainly hope things can be driven forward in the right direction and further modernisation of our game's administration can progress. If the administration can't move forward as they should, club golf in Scotland is heading towards the precipice at an alarming rate. The future of our game is in their hands.

I believe that is part of the problem hence why local Golf Unions wanted a vote of no confidence in the organisation.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it would be interesting to know where all the money goes??

Scotland has a similar per head of population playing as Ireland (3.5% Ire 4% ish ) yet Scotland is losing 6000 members a year apparently where Ire is less than 1000.. so why would be the question id be asking?

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think truly elite golfers inspire people to take up the game so that is justifiable. Where might be questioned is very good, but not truly elite, golfers getting money for coaching, advice and everything else that goes with golf now, the backroom staff can be significant. If too much money goes into the latter group then they maybe more open to criticism.

Do you think they have the balance right? I don't know about golf in Scotland in that sense.

Personally I don't think they've been too far off. I think they probably need to do a bit more raising of awareness about the less-glamorous stuff they do but seeing development players taking part in (and doing well in) amateur events in sunnier climes does tend to stand out more than handicapping info, club management seminars etc.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
it would be interesting to know where all the money goes??

Scotland has a similar per head of population playing as Ireland (3.5% Ire 4% ish ) yet Scotland is losing 6000 members a year apparently where Ire is less than 1000.. so why would be the question id be asking?

That would certainly be interesting, as would how we compare internationally.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

how would seeing a load of youngsters jetting a around the globe paid for by the man on the street, inspire the man on the street to take up golf?