What lesson actually worked for you and your game?

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
With some of the current threads 'lesson' themed, I just wondered which, if any actually worked for you in the long term?

I've always been a very practical person and I've never really bought into buying new 'shiny shiny' in order to fix an issue with my golf as so many others (and the industry) seem to want us to do.
I'd much rather spend the money on getting my problem fixed correctly, by a professional who knows what he or she is doing.

To that end, my chipping has been woeful for as long as I've ever played golf. The amount of times I've been next to the green and end up duffing a chip and taking four or sometimes five to get down from less than thirty feet is not only painful and damaging, but also embarrassing.
So a few weeks ago I bit the bullet and had a lesson, with follow up lessons booked in for later. Wow, What a difference!
Whilst I'm never going to be a Mickleson, I can honestly say the difference is massive. I actually feel reasonably confident around the green now, and am not afraid to go after the pin, whereas before anywhere on the green followed by two putts would be the best I could expect. I actually got complimented on my chipping on Sunday! :eek:

Just being shown what to do and how, followed by lots and lots of practising the correct technique have helped me loads and I expect a cut by the end of the season.

So, what lesson fixed what problem for you?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I've always struggled a bit with strike. A lesson about 18 months ago showed up just how far my head moved off the ball in my backswing. Stabilising that has improved things no end, from chipping up to woods.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The only lesson that I've paid for that made a difference is on how to hit wedges. The pro immediately saw that I was trying to flip the ball into the air off of the back foot and explained that I needed to put the weight on my left foot and hit down on the ball. My longer wedge shots improved significantly as a result. Only took five minutes to correct.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
IMO a lesson that explains clearly how the wrists should work in the swing will make the biggest improvement to most players.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Seven years ago I had a session with a particularly agressive Canadian pro in which we ended up shouting at each other - the crux of it from my side being that if he wanted me to do something differently he needed to use different words rather than repeating himself with an increased volume....
5 years later I finally understood what he was getting at, and it's been at the core of my improvements (such as they are) ever since.
The particular issue was staying connected, and I was simply pitching into a net about 60 yds - the problem was that I was doing it successfully but incorrectly!

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have always suffered with the J Arthurs, I switched Pro's last year and James the new pro broke my issues down into a simple to understand format which enabled me to 'feel' both the correct and incorrect swing. Whilst not cured I can at least now try and correct myself mid-game whereas previously it became a major issue for weeks.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Putting and chipping. My putting was woeful and nowadays it isn't so woeful, the problem was I was totally offline so no wonder I wasn't making putts.

My short game is the best part of my game now, I get out of most bunkers in 1 and I'm confident from under 50 yards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a pretty good chipper but on holiday in US I could not chip for toffee out of the Bermuda grass.
So had a lesson of a young pro and what a revelation he was fantastic and he clearly demonstrated to me what to do
More like a bunker shot.

I think a good lesson is to show you how , then explain the principals a good pro should be able to execute the shot.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Two standout ones. Firstly a lesson on driving. The pro got me taking the club away low and slow, left shoulder under the chin and then come back through

Secondly a general one which sorted out my alignment and got me hitting through the ball with a better connection rather than frequently thinning it or just picking it off the surface.

Both have made a huge difference in the consistency in my game.

I have never had a bad lesson. I've had ones that I have not been able to follow through and repeat but everyone at the time got me hitting like a dream.

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
invested in a series of 6 lessons and a 9 hole playing lesson with our pro a while back and this made a huge difference to my game. He identified a number of things that needed to be worked on - but we handled these one thing at a time. The lessons were spread over about 5 to 6 months and focussed on gradual changes. I'd really recommend this approach.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I had an hour short game lesson on Monday... I am pretty confident around the green, but I am prone to the odd scuff.... I've played a few social rounds with the pro recently and he said that he's seen a couple of things worth looking at.

In short within a few minutes he showed me a video of me hitting green side pitches and chips... crikey, I hunch over and my hands are really low! This raises the toes of the club, causing the heel to dig in occasionally. I thought this was just a scuff, but it was pretty fundamental.

Stand taller, hands higher...instant more consistent distance and better use of loft. Also he looked at my decentish chip and runs from the greenside (using a hooded wedge) and got me using an 8 iron more like a putt. Worked nicely. Out tonight to work on it.

BornSlippy1994

Medal Winner
Visit site
I had a lesson a few weeks back to work on my driving, something that I'd been really struggling with ever since I started playing. Until then I'd tried pretty much everything I could to sort it out, but my horrid slice still persisted.

Turns out I was standing too close to the ball, and had my shoulders and feet pointing left of target. That was pretty much the only part of my swing he said was wrong (in relation to my ability) and instantly I went from hitting horrible slices to straight/slightly drawing shots. I'm still genuinely shocked that it was something so 'simple' causing my poor shots, and a little frustrated at the time I wasted! I still hit the odd slice, but at least I know why so I can fix it on the next tee.

That being said, standing further away from the ball has ruined my iron play. Really struggling to consistently strike it well now, but I'll get there I'm sure.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I am basically of the oppinion that you can learn something from everyone and that you take something away from every lesson, even if it does not show right away (or, in the worst case, in showing you what does not work for you at all). Therefore I never considered a lesson wasted.

But a few which stand out because they brought almost instant and permanent results:
- a chipping lesson with Peter Finch a couple of years ago that simplified the chipping movement
- a session during a golf holiday with Michi Krack who just changed ball position and the angle of my wrists in setup a bit ... what a world of difference.
- a range session on ball striking with Andy Carter and Chris Fletcher during a golf holiday in Portugal. Strike is key. If you get the middle of your clubhead to make good contact with the ball, everything else does not hurt as much. I made that my mantra. If things start to go south on the golf course or when I am facing an awkward shot (downhill, difficult lie or whatever), that is the one thing I focus on. Just put a decent strike on the ball. And it helps so much.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A playing lesson!

Thinking a bit more my turning point recently was alignment. Just putting my target line and swing plane in correct alignment made a difference of at least a shot a hole for me.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Every lesson I have gives me the information I need to fix faults I might have on any given day. Each one is like a building block for me! Always ask questions. Find out what you do badly!

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
changed pro a number of years back and most of the first lesson he spent correcting problems with my grip and made it more neutral and consistent.

still the most productive lesson i've ever had, made a world of difference.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Probably the first lesson I ever had when I first got serious 30 odd years ago. That was to keep my left arm straight during my backswing as I used to bend it at the elbow. Scores tumbled after that.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am a pretty good chipper but on holiday in US I could not chip for toffee out of the Bermuda grass.
So had a lesson of a young pro and what a revelation he was fantastic and he clearly demonstrated to me what to do
More like a bunker shot.

I think a good lesson is to show you how , then explain the principals a good pro should be able to execute the shot.

Thanks for this post. I thought it was me. I was there in November and that was the worst part of my game and I just couldn't get to grips with it over there

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know it isn't quite a lesson, but had a round during a roll up with two older members at my club, both off about 16 which given their drives went ~150 shows how solid the rest of their game was. One of them gave me a couple of putting tips. My last three rounds since that i've taken on average about 10 less putts, hoping that it stays!

Now just one for my driver...