What is your first Holiday memory?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For I it was setting off on a 300+ journey in a Ford Prefect REG MCB 84, how much would that be worth today, to Cornwall before motorways going down the A49. My mum and dad lighting a cig, what an awful smell in a a car and feeling sick in the back.Setting off @3 a.m. going under The Clifton Suspension Bridge and taking ages getting through Bridgewater and Taunton.

Seeing Fern Britton on my Cornwall tonight reminded me of those days. A couple of my favourite songs Cornwall my home and Trelawney. Many years’ later listening to the latter on The Scilly Isles and standing at the end of the night.

Happy Days!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Staying in a caravan at Abersoch, north Wales. I have a memory of playing on the beach, glorious sunshine, banana split as a treat. Funny the things that stay in your mind. It's a snapshot of a memory, no more than that. Thankfully it is a pleasant memory.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Three years old being driven to Tenby, me and my younger sister sat in the passenger footwell of my granddad’s car all the way. There were five adults in the car and another three kids in the boot. Think it must have been the Cortina. Before that he had a motorbike and sidecar which got similarly stuffed with kids.

Gone are the days when memories like that are made. ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Butlins Bognor aged about seven, I was in the children's theatre with my sisters when the roof caught fire. Parents were all in the bars drinking and got the fright of their lives. The incident made the national newspapers.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Staying with my Aunt,Uncle and cousins who lived in the Plymouth Barbican district. It wasn't the run of wine bars and gin palaces back then but I loved it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Butlins Bognor aged about seven, I was in the children's theatre with my sisters when the roof caught fire. Parents were all in the bars drinking and got the fright of their lives. The incident made the national newspapers.

Ah that’s brought back memories, I worked at Butlins Bogner in the 70s, one night there was a bomb scare and the ballroom had to be cleared a few of us just went round the tables and drunk as much as we could ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Us being met by my uncle Donald as we disembarked late evening from the Oban to Lochboisdale ferry - then driven by him in the dark all the way up South Uist to Benbecula and being greeted by aunt Maggie with a huge oil lantern in the middle of the kitchen table providing the light (no mains electricity). I guess I would have been 5 or 6. That or us getting the airport bus from under St Enoch Station to Renfrew Airport to catch the plane to Tiree - again probably 6.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cruden Bay in the early 60s. Travelling up in my father's Lanchester via the Devil's Elbow it was a full day trip via the Kincardine Bridge or ferry across the Forth at Queensferry before the bridge was opened. Nowadays the trip will take about two and a half hours! We would walk over the golf course to the beach which is still one of the best in the UK despite the oil pipeline from the North Sea coming ashore now. Also in those days, the clubhouse at Cruden Bay was a magnificent granite building before it was destroyed in a fire.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Butlins at Skeggy, 1965. We took one of our cousins, who came from a carless family - he didn’t travel well. I remember the boating lake and the meals.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Didn't have "holidays" as such as kids, parents couldn't afford it and didn't have a car.
Our Summer treat was a day trip in July, usually to Hastings, aboard one of the many coaches arranged by our tenants association on the Council estate where we lived.
Packed sandwiches, crisps, biscuits and bottles of orange squash. If we were lucky, and I do mean lucky, we might have even got an ice cream while we were there.
We looked forward to it from about April onward, going to the seaside was such a big thing back then.

Last edited:

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Going to my nans caravan at Point Clear in my dads green MK1 Cortina and singing Cliffs Summer Holiday when we saw the sea! Once at the van (Shangi-la caravan site ?) it was help my dad fill the water tanks up from the big tap with a button on top which I lent on so he could fill the barrels. Happy happy days.?

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
6 of us squashed into a 1960s VW Beetle, driving from Glasgow to Donegal. I'd be about 6 or 7. We stayed at some farmhouse, my abiding memory was spending the nights trying to throw potatoes over the roof of the barn while the grown ups were all indoors getting pissed.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Driving to the Kruger National Park when I was about 4. A love affair with the bush that will never diminish began then.

I would urge every single person here to go on safari and experience it for yourselves. It is life changing

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
A holiday in the south of France, at Roz Pines campsite when I was about 8. I can still remember the smell of the pine trees in the dry heat as I walked though the forest with a blonde girl called Debbie from Cork. Who was my first kiss, against a rock that resembled a dinosaur. As I type the bit about the rock, I wonder how the hell I managed to get ta kiss off her! ?

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Didn't have "holidays" as such as kids, parents couldn't afford it and didn't have a car.
Our Summer treat was a day trip in July, usually to Hastings, aboard one of the many coaches arranged by our tenants association on the estate where we lived.
Packed sandwiches, crisps, biscuits and bottles of orange squash. If we were lucky, and I do mean lucky, we might have even got an ice cream while we were there.
We looked forward to it from about April onward, going to the seaside was such a big thing back then.
I remember those trips. As a family we went on one to Southsea and my dad's watch stopped meaning that we were half an hour late for the bus going back. A lot of tutting and red faces!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Going in the car from NI to Donegal, probably 2 hours drive. Staying in what I now presume was a B&B. Beach, amusement arcade, fish and chips, ice-cream, bumping into other people from home town doing precisely the same. We thought it was the height of indulgence then.

Never had a foreign holiday with my parents.