What is your first Holiday memory?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the 50s my parents had a static caravan in Bognor, gas lights and folding down beds

My memories are mainly of the trip to there, the car struggling to make it up one hill*. stopping somewhere with a really steep hill which my brother and I used to love climbing up then tumbling down followed by see seeing the gasometers and knowing we were almost there.

* not Box Hill as we were travelling from Woking.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Middleton Towers holiday camp (Pontins) at Morecambe watching the knobbly knees competition and a few months later Blackpool Lights

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Camping trips with my Dad and two brothers and two sisters in our LH drive VW Camper van. I was small enough to sleep in the boot space, Janet and George on the seating area and Dad, Carol and Colin in a tent. Such amazing happy memories - I guess I was about 4 or 5.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Being on a British midland flight to Lanzarote and my Mother in an absolute bag of nerves chain smoking as that was her first flight she couldn’t smoke on.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My dad worked for Green Giant when I was a kid so spent a lot of time travelling to the US. Remember going to Disney in the late 70s/early 80s and Universal studios

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Going in the car from NI to Donegal, probably 2 hours drive. Staying in what I now presume was a B&B. Beach, amusement arcade, fish and chips, ice-cream, bumping into other people from home town doing precisely the same. We thought it was the height of indulgence then.

Never had a foreign holiday with my parents.
Snap! My mum never once ventured beyond the shores of the uk, as neither did my dad after the war. Neither ever had a passport.

When I would ask why they never went abroad and spent most of their holidays in Scotland - their answer was why would they want to not explore and enjoy the most beautiful country in the world…they were the salt of the Scottish earth and their love of and pride in their country had no limits.

And so Scotland was where we spent almost all of our family holidays…with the occasional trip to Ainsdale to stay with an aunt and uncle. One very early (early 1960s) memory was mum taking us by train from Glasgow Central to Ainsdale…dad was working. It was probably an extended Easter break. I recall quite clearly getting off the local steam train at Ainsdale station.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meeting Joey Dunlop in our hotel in Douglas after getting lost in Liverpool with a sidecar on a trailer, local kids jumping all over it. Then the next morning sitting at the bottom of Bray Hill when the bikes were out for practice... Pretty decent!!

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Meeting Joey Dunlop in our hotel in Douglas after getting lost in Liverpool with a sidecar on a trailer, local kids jumping all over it. Then the next morning sitting at the bottom of Bray Hill when the bikes were out for practice... Pretty decent!!

Joey D? Could also post that story in the 'Accents' thread. The Ballymoney and district accent is wild even by NI standards.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Black Cat caravan park in Rhyl .
Playing footy on the beach all day .
Fish and chips between us on the sand hills.
Sitting outside the pub with the other kids with a lemonade and crisps while dad had a pint.
Glorious, you can keep going abroad;)

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Going to Dunoon at Glasgow Fair and it never stopped raining for a solid week. It was only when I was older I was told we were meant to be there for two weeks but my dad was so fed up we went home early.
Also had the worst fish and chips ever on that holiday. Must be why I enjoy Spain so much.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Travelling back from Winchelsea in time to watch the second half and extra time of the 1966 World Cup final

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Early 1950s going to Portobello, Rothesay, Ayr in no particular order. Wearing my hand knitted woollen swimming trunks in baltic seawater freezing my nuts off . Thanks Mum n dad for drying me down with a sandy towel, that's why I preferred Largs, Pebble beach :ROFLMAO:

Last edited: