what is the ball telling me?

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have had similar issues although I wasn't slicing the long irons, just pushing them right. My pro corrected it within 5 minutes and also resolved the issue I have always had with a flat swing.

The drill he gave me for my irons was to break my wrists early. Basically you take your normal stance with a 7 iron and the take away is by breaking your wrists until the iron reaches the parallel with the ground position. At the parallel position the shaft will be pointing directly along the target line, in line with the front of your shoes. The club face will be pointing down, with about a 30 degree angle and your right elbow will be pulled into your rib cage which eliminates the flying elbow. In addition if you turn your watch around so the face is on the inside of the wrist, your wrist should be slightly bowed so that you can just see the inside of the watch face at the parallel position. This wrist position helps to ensure the club face stays closed during the swing.

The above had a two fold effect, one it gave me a full swing which I have always struggled with and two the full swing combined with the drill has helped pull my iron shots back on line.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ToCeU_z0es

Another issue which can create a slice/fade is incorrect alignment and aiming left of the target which promotes an out to in swing path and makes the slice worse. A simple drill is to set up, address the ball and then place the club along your tighs pointing to the target. If your alignment is out you will see it straight away. If you hit though the ball at the target line it will help to straighten out your drives.