What is a troll?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
''A troll is Internet slang for a person who intentionally tries to instigate conflict, hostility, or arguments in an online social community. Platforms targeted by trolls can include the comment sections of YouTube, forums, or chat rooms.''

This is just one definition.

What are your thoughts?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
People on here are way too quick to label someone a troll just because they have an opposing view which they find incredulous. The real trolls are few and far between.
That's why I asked.
If we can agree what trolling is, maybe unnecessary arguments can be avoided in the future, especially as winter and boredom approaches

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's why I asked.
If we can agree what trolling is, maybe unnecessary arguments can be avoided in the future, especially as winter and boredom approaches
Or we could just stop calling people trolls full stop. 😆 I think 90% of the times people have said it they were wrong and it was just what I said above. Calling someone a troll seems to the last bastion of the chap who's run out of points to make.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
That's why I asked.
Most of it is just the way forums are, tit for tat arguments etc. I don't really see why it bothers anyone, I find some of pretty funny and think the more we try and stamp out stuff we don't like the forums loses something.

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
Or we could just stop calling people trolls full stop. 😆 I think 90% of the times people have said it they were wrong and it was just what I said above. Calling someone a troll seems to the last bastion of the chap who's run out of points to make.
Add it to the swear filter 🤣

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of it is just the way forums are, tit for tat arguments etc. I don't really see why it bothers anyone, I find some of pretty funny and think the more we try and stamp out stuff we don't like the forums loses something.
Agree - some people can't see the difference between a debate and an argument.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's the lack of face to face contact that makes forums the sometimes hostile place they are, if you were sat opposite the person you were "debating" with you'd be much less likely to come out with the snide or insulting comments.

We're all guilty to a greater or lesser degree, many's the time I've posted something and then realised I've behaved like a complete knob.
Even more often I've written what I thought was a clever riposte, only to read it again and have second thoughts and not actually post it.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree - some people can't see the difference between a debate and an argument.
There’s a subtle line though, some people debate/argue and then continue to do so when it’s evident it’s now just for the sake of it/some weird self-satisfaction.

The experts-on-everything that must have the last word so just keep going.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There’s a subtle line though, some people debate/argue and then continue to do so when it’s evident it’s now just for the sake of it/some weird self-satisfaction.

Very guilty of that, but then it's hard when you have experienced the situation and know the answer yet get ignored on the subject.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

I think the classic example of this is the footie thread, some forummers will defend their club to the death. Some are critical of their club. For me the banning of the political thread was the best thing that could have happened.
Re trolling, lost count the amount of times the topic depends into a spelling/ terminology argument or people attack the poster not the topic.