What is a Mid-Handicap?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Wow how many would ye have in your club in + figures Rich
It's an Open event, won in the past by the likes of Ross Fisher and Andy Sullivan. A member did win a few year back when he was a plus 2. We do get quite a few qualifiers join as their second Club, so they can get in plenty of practice. I think we had something like 8 plus handicap members at one time.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's an Open event, won in the past by the likes of Ross Fisher and Andy Sullivan. A member did win a few year back when he was a plus 2. We do get quite a few qualifiers join as their second Club, so they can get in plenty of practice. I think we had something like 8 plus handicap members at one time.

Ah right sorry ,wow thats alota quality golfers ... think 2 is the lowest in our place ..

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Mid-handicap is 8.6

First one to tell me the formula I used wins a prize :)

I will have a stab at it.

actual handicap range is not 0-28 for men, I think it is actually +10.4 - 28.4.

So there is a range of 38.8 shots across the handicapping system. So the mid point is 19.4.

Now if you actually take 19.4 from 28.4 you get 9. Did you just take the 19.4 away from 28, forgetting to put 28.4 into your calculator? That is why you got 8.6.

so going on my calculation, mid handicap is actually 9

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

So there is a range of 38.8 shots across the handicapping system. So the mid point is 19.4.

Now if you actually take 19.4 from 28.4 you get 9. Did you just take the 19.4 away from 28, forgetting to put 28.4 into your calculator? That is why you got 8.6.

I'll have a consonant please Rachel
:mad:

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site

Maximum CONGU handicap for men is 28.0, not 28.4.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

well that's far more effort than you'll need for the correct answer :D

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
My answer was in terms of club buying alone, there's obviously quite a difference between a 0 and 9 handicapper's ability, but both should be able to avoid heel and toe shots consistently, and so use 'better player' clubs, where as 'mid-handicappers' will normally need a little help from perimetre weighting and the likes, while 'game-improvers' will need a lot more help from things like deep CGs and offset hosels.

While some lower handicappers will like forgiving clubs, and some beginners blades, on the whole different ranges for different abilities means you can get the tools you need to improve, whether that's to launch it easier or find more feel and workability.

I agree and that's a good way to look at it - I doubt there are a style of club that suits scratch golfers significantly better than 9 handicaps. As you say, they are all capable of solid ball striking.

Just making a more general point that although it's tempting to look at the range of handicaps and split it evenly, the nature of the handicap system, with its different categories, means that there isn't a linear correlation between ability and handicap number.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My MP-57s are supposed to be for mid-low handicappers.

I never pay any attention to that. They have plenty of forgiveness and feel good. Plus they were a bargain! No plans to change them unless gifted a fitting.

I think I would benefit trading in the 4 and 5 iron in for hybrids but I love the feel of a good 4 iron too much...

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
The main thing is usability over vanity when buying golf clubs. Everyone wants a certain set and normally they are the ones aimed at better ball strikers, as they are the clubs that are sleek and smooth, not chunky and ugly. I think rather than clubs be classified as low, mid, high handicappers, they should lost them as consistent, average and inconsistent ball strikers. I've played with 14 handicappers who strike the ball really well and can play with blades, likewise I have played with cat 1 players that are good enough to use blades. I always think a good golf club fitter never asks your handicap, he just gets you to hit a few balls and judges your ability by what he sees both visually and off a launch monitor.