What hybrid?

I've never had a hybrid but finding myself caught between a 3 iron and 3 wood so something in-between that acts like a 1 iron would be good, I've callaway 3 wood and titleist driver so ideally something in their ranges?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you like the look of the Titleist driver then would recommend their hybrids, love my 909 and the 910 looks a step up again, to fit the gap id look at either the 17 or 19 degree (if u get a 910 obviously you get adjustable loft so can tailor it better to fill your gap)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Callaway hybrids tend to have a fair bit of offset on them, even the "Tour" versions. This will make a better play think "left" big time.
The 909/910 hybrids have much less offset so don't scream hook at you - doesn't mean you wont!!

The Ping i15 hybrid is a good one as well, similar to the 909.
Don't discount the Titleist 585 - pre 909 hybrid - a good club too and much cheaper than the others.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've never had a hybrid but finding myself caught between a 3 iron and 3 wood so something in-between that acts like a 1 iron would be good, I've callaway 3 wood and titleist driver so ideally something in their ranges?

"Acts like a 1-iron"

Do you mean in flight profile (lower and more penetrating), or as a purely distance gap filler between 3w and 3i?

I got rid of my 5w recently and changed to a hybrid. I looked at hybrids that looked a bit more 'iron-like' rather than 'wood-like'. I guess its down to what you prefer...I went for a small head, iron-look of the Nike VR Pro 2H. Great shaft for the quicker swing and just excellent out of the rough (the compression channel is very forgiving on hits out of the bottom of the club). It is a high-launching, but penetrating club though.

I like the idea that you can adjust the head on Titleist ones! :cool:

think I need something for the distance gap between 3i and 3w PLUS if its good out the semi or rough thats a bonus as long iron shots out a semi rough lie can be hit or miss.

kinhell

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a Cleveland DST 3i Hybrid. The best club I ever bought. Very very easy to hit and I play on a course with tight lies and excellent out of the rough too. The Cleveland Mashie is the latest one they do but mine is the DST whic is last years model

Imurg

Visit site

And it works too.
My 19 is cranked up to 19.75 but will go as high as 20.5 or as low as 18.25 depending on what I'm trying to do. And you can see a difference on a well struck shot.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have recently bought the Callaway Diablo Edge 3 Hybrid and cannot recommend it highly enough. I bought it to bridge the gap between my 4 iron and 3 wood as I removed the 5 wood.

It's great out of the rough and pretty useful from fairway bunkers too.

Will also tie in with your current Callaway.

Hope this helps.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think there are so many terrific hybrids out there these days. The quality of shots I see from distinctly average players is astounding. Whatever the makers are doing, they are working. :)
I'd start with Ping, Taylor Made and Titleist.
I love my "old" fybrid, it's a shame it only comes out a few times any game.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
have to say the titleist 910 is the one I want, not just cos I am a titleist fanboy I just think it covers a lot of options with the adjustability. deffo on my save up to get list :)

I currently use a cobra baffler 5h and a yonex 4h, easy to hit clubs and get extra distance over the equivalent irons

Imurg

Visit site
have to say the titleist 910 is the one I want, not just cos I am a titleist fanboy I just think it covers a lot of options with the adjustability.

To give you an idea - when I was trying the 910 on the range, they only had it with the Kai'Li shaft. Although stiff flex it has waaay too much torque for my swing and everything was hooking - I set it to the most open setting and the ball began to fly straight.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
see all the 910 range appeals to me, its just the cost lol. at my level probably something for next year when half the price and I can get the best out of them ;)

A

Alex1975

And it works too.
My 19 is cranked up to 19.75 but will go as high as 20.5 or as low as 18.25 depending on what I'm trying to do. And you can see a difference on a well struck shot.

I am waiting for one of these in the post at the moment (wish it would hurry up) I have a 909-21* and the 19 would be a bit close to that if you could not adjust it. My plan is to run it at 18.25 so the gap is more like 21-18* a nice 3* though I will do it but carry distance over the 21*. Looking forward to it!

having looked at the IMO ugly Hybrids I think I'd rather get a nice 2 iron to match my Mizuno forged T Zoids instead