What exactly is a 'signature hole'?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Plenty of courses claim to have a 'signature hole' but I'm never quite sure what that actually means. If they're saying it's the best or most memorable, are they basically saying the other 17 aren't much cop? What makes a hole into a signature hole anyway?

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Plenty of courses claim to have a 'signature hole' but I'm never quite sure what that actually means. If they're saying it's the best or most memorable, are they basically saying the other 17 aren't much cop? What makes a hole into a signature hole anyway?

Not necessarily, signature hole for me is literally the one that "makes it's mark" on you (see what I did there :D?).
However it's not always a case that one being a signature means the rest aren't any good. It may mean they are all great but one is excellent. Like, say, you have a fleet of supercars, you will have one in there that is your favourite but the rest are still pretty good.

Heidi

Tour Rookie
Visit site
or it could just be their stupidest hole - the 13th at Silverdale springs to mind - green perched on top of a cliff

sigh :rolleyes:

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our signiture hole is shocking! Really hate it. In comparison when I played at mellion there signiture hole was based on the par 3 at amen corner and WOW a really stunning hole although personally I liked the hole after more

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Pretty sure if you look at places like Pebble Beach and their signature hole or Augusta and Amen Corner (do they have one signature hole) then the others aren't too shabby. Sometimes it is a quirky hole and sometimes it is a hole that set against a scenic backdrop. Loads of reasons to have one and they don't necessarily detract from the rst of the course

dog377

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty sure if you look at places like Pebble Beach and their signature hole or Augusta and Amen Corner (do they have one signature hole) then the others aren't too shabby. Sometimes it is a quirky hole and sometimes it is a hole that set against a scenic backdrop. Loads of reasons to have one and they don't necessarily detract from the rst of the course

The 14th at The Roxburghe is a classic "signature hole". River Teviot running down the left, viaduct at the end, Floors castle in the distance. Brilliant position for the back tee on a long par 5. Nice.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
moyola's 17th is its sig hole. i look forward to playing it every time. its good that its num 17 as it picks you up just by playing it late on even if the round isnt going so well! short 140 par 3 from elevated tee.

full_1302262087.jpg

beauty aint she?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
moyola's 17th is its sig hole. i look forward to playing it every time. its good that its num 17 as it picks you up just by playing it late on even if the round isnt going so well! short 140 par 3 from elevated tee.

full_1302262087.jpg

beauty aint she?

Lovely hole, but a bit tight for my liking !!

Ours is the 18th. One of only two elevated tees, heather and trees down both sides. Harry Colt fairway bunkers, and a huge pit inches off the green on the right. Left and long are out of bounds and plays into the prevailing wind. Oh and the green is a tad tricky.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not sure what ours is officially as there are a few nice looking holes in the 18.
I would say maybe the 17th which is a dogleg right par four with forest on both sides. You have to fade a driver off the tee to have a mid iron to the green. A straight drive often ends in the forest or in a marshy area just before it. A lay up off the tee will leave a long iron to a sloping green that is protected by a bunker front right.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
a signature hole seems to be the most photogenic a par 3 with lake in foreground and views or flora to the rear or vice versa a marketing mans dream basically. A hole from a picture that makes you want to go play the course.