What DON'T you like about your own course and how do you rate it?

Rate your course out of 10

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.5%

Votes: 2 2.3%

Votes: 7 8.1%

Votes: 11 12.8%

Votes: 20 23.3%

Votes: 33 38.4%

Votes: 8 9.3%

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
What don't you like about your own course and how would you rate it out of 10?

(nb: please vote in the poll for quick reference) :rolleyes:

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I rate my course 5.
Hardly ever in perfect nick.
Council run so they dont spend any money on it.
Only 3 greenkeepers,so not enough.
Not enough machinery to do the jobs that need doing.
Greens poor,but they do take a ball all year around.
Bunkers rubbish,inconsistent sand depth,if any at all,and not well kept.
Just trying to think how ive been a member so long,probably because
its so close to home

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Rated Aylesbury Vale a 7. Biggest dislike I guess is it is a bit young so a lot of the trees still need more time to mature. That said they are constantly trying to improve the course and the condition, especially the greens are in excellent condition currently. That said the biggest plus is it is a hugely friendly club, no airs and graces just nicely laid back.

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
I rate my course 5.
Hardly ever in perfect nick.
Council run so they dont spend any money on it.
Only 3 greenkeepers,so not enough.
Not enough machinery to do the jobs that need doing.
Greens poor,but they do take a ball all year around.
Bunkers rubbish,inconsistent sand depth,if any at all,and not well kept.
Just trying to think how ive been a member so long,probably because
its so close to home

my course sounds better than yours and ive given it a 3!!!!!!!!

bigslice

Tour Winner
Visit site
gave it a 3, i dont like that its built on a dump, i dont like the smell from the slaughterhouse, course can be wet even in summer. it is a municipal type course. BUT i do like the boys and company and when the course is at its best it is a tricky wee course BUT i like it

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rated Aylesbury Vale a 7. Biggest dislike I guess is it is a bit young so a lot of the trees still need more time to mature. That said they are constantly trying to improve the course and the condition, especially the greens are in excellent condition currently. That said the biggest plus is it is a hugely friendly club, no airs and graces just nicely laid back.

We played your first mixed open in October and really liked the course and atmosphere for sure. If we lived nearer we'd probably join but will use our comp 2 ball voucher and enter the open again next year if it's held :)

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've given mine a 8 as I feel its one of the best courses I've played in my area during my short golfing life.

The only thing I don't like is I find it pretty hard and there are some silly tee shots.

(Its whickham Golf Club by the way)

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Given mine a solid 7.

Not the most tricky to the eye (very open for the most part) but is windy 90% of the time which adds to the challenge. Enough water and bunkers and other hazards to keep it interesting and is always in really good nick despite high foot traffic (it's a burhill course).

If I was going to pick on something I don't like, I'd say the fact that it is so open, It can look a bit sparse in parts. It's a fairly young course (1992) but there's no sign of trying to grow lines of trees in to separate holes etc. so I don't think that's the design they're going for.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Really like my course. It's tight with some tricky holes. The greens are usually excellent and the course in general is usually good. For a local course it's a cracker. It's hard to rate it though. What would be a 10? Lytham, hillside, birkdale are just 30 minutes away and are much much better than my track. It seems a bit unfair to rate my little local course against some of the best in the world.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gave ours a 7 as they do spend a lot of time keeping it in fair nick considering the amount of hackers trotting round the place in the summer months.

My main gripe is the infrequency of changing pin positions and therefore the state of the holes. Putting anywhere else is a delight and the holes look huge compared to ours. I was also surprised to hear the green-keepers actually play golf as some of the pin placements are downright evil and borderline stupid !

Other gripe is the amount of societies and deals offered to hotel guests/pay & players through the summer months. Weekends aren't excepted and it can be a nightmare getting round in anything like a decent time. The up side to that is that there is investment in the course but it can feel like they prioritise non-members as they already have our cash !

Other downside is the lack of a true clubhouse. The bar and restaurant is frequented more by the general public than golfers and this is a real shame. A separate bar/lounge for the members would be lovely and add to the golf club atmosphere.

All that said - I like the course and I love the ladies section which is dominated by a bunch who are good golfers, striving to get better but having a right laugh in the process :cool: Oh - and it's relatively cheap to join!

Anders

Medal Winner
Visit site
Would give mine a 7 as it is usually in good condition, the greens in particular. What I don't like is that some of the tee areas are uneven, though to be fair they are working their way around and fixing this.

I'm not too keen on the OB on the 9th, but that's more about me than the course!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Gave mine a healthy 6. The reasons that I have marked it down are quite fundamental and not easy to change

1. Not much in the way of options off the tee, it is a driver unless it is a par 3.
2. Not enough bunkering/hazards.
3. Too many straight par 4s.

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
I gave mine a 6, based purely on the course, as they dont have a lot of members it doesnt have full time green staff so on occasion it does need that extra tlc. They are doing a fair few improvements at the mo and lengthening the course/changing the layout and tee blocks so hopefully in a years time it will be even better.

I do like it though, small greens and some narrow fairways make it a challenge also some tricky par 3's. Quite tough off 28 but I have found it has stood me in good stead on other tracks already.

Members are very friendly with comps every weekend. Very cheap membership and never have to book a tee time as its always quiet even on weekends.

Doesnt come close to ther courses I have played but then again they are 3, 4 or even 5 times the price so I can't complain

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
8/10! Great course, nice members, 2 comps a month, GREAT pro's (x3), lovely views and its next to a castle......
Negatives, would prefer covered range (have 1 range with mats and a separate members range off the grass and and practice ground) and would also prefer some water feature on the course, other than that, PERFECT!!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
5/10 - Has gone steadily downhill over last 3 years.

Green maintenance seems random and poorly timed - bunkers refurb with kids' moonsand - lips "contoured out of the bunkers to aid with maintenance (save the GKs getting off their seated mowers)

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
If this rating system would suggest Turnberry or RCD bieng a 10 and Lydd being a 1, and you're giving your course 7 or 8 it must be pretty impressive?

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I've given Dunbar a full 10. Great course at a great price, easy to book tee times, can play off the whites anytime, plays full greens all year round, plenty comps inc midweek, little cost for my mates and when something needs done it gets done. All in all....it's a 10. My other club Royal Musselburgh, well, about 4 after this year. Last year about 7.