What do you make of Rahm moving to Callaway?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ahhhh, deep sigh. I'm sure there are plenty of players a move works for but it seems to be fraught with danger. He already earns millions, stick with what took him to his current position. He will earn far more from wins than whatever Callaway are paying him.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I don’t really know (other than the blindingly obvious) why the really top players have any sort of equipment deal
Yours
Nigel Naive

D

Deleted member 3432

So far so good and biggest ‘signing’ so far.

Apparently he played Callaway/Odyssey in his college days..

“The equipment is already performing well for me, and in my first round with the new set-up, I shot a course-record 59 at Silverleaf. I have confidence in my new Callaway clubs – and especially the ball, which has really impressed me during the testing process.”

https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/gear/gear-news/world-no-2-jon-rahm-signs-with-callaway-golf-216173

Will collate the best bits for a piece..

Try Golf WRX forum, they seem to be talking about it unlike us.

More bothered about getting a bacon sarnie in clubhouse or if the roll up can still operate on here.

My attitute is they play a totally different game to club amateurs so whatever they chose to have in their bag is of no interest to me whatsover.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
First I had heard of it. 2 thoughts:

1) If someone offers you a heap of cash to use their stuff, you'd be nuts not to think about it

2) You won't want to play with clubs you were not confident with, so see the second half of the above!!

As a watcher of pro golf, it will be interesting to see how this impacts his performance. Doesn't effect my purchasing decisions in anyway, other than any subliminal messages we get on TV by seeing lots of logos! :)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Think it probably suits everyone.

- TaylorMade free up a couple of million $ from their wage bill (which they then gave to Tommy Fleetwood), and still have Tiger, Rory, DJ, Wolf, Morikawa on their roster.
- Callaway get a big name to 'phil' Mickelson's spot at the top of their Player lineup.
- Rahm gets a boat load of cash.

Plenty of players have made equipment changes work, plenty haven't. Hopefully he will! Sergio waited 20+ years for a Major and got one a few months after making the same switch (and has now gone back to using some TM stuff).

D

Deleted member 1147

Think it probably suits everyone.

- TaylorMade free up a couple of million $ from their wage bill (which they then gave to Tommy Fleetwood), and still have Tiger, Rory, DJ, Wolf, Morikawa on their roster.
- Callaway get a big name to 'phil' Mickelson's spot at the top of their Player lineup.
- Rahm gets a boat load of cash.

Plenty of players have made equipment changes work, plenty haven't. Hopefully he will! Sergio waited 20+ years for a Major and got one a few months after making the same switch (and has now gone back to using some TM stuff).
I thought Sergio was using Pings, has he dropped them?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I never care about players who have full bag deals. They obviously just cash in with the highest bidder, and fair play to them - for the most part I'm sure they could hit any of the major manufacturer's gear anyway.

I find it much more interesting to see what the pros who aren't signed to anyone use. The guys who have free choice and a mixed bag. The guys who have used the same irons for ten years, or Langer's random assortment and so on. Those are the only 'what's in the bags' I'm interested in. :p

Mandofred

Visit site
Try Golf WRX forum, they seem to be talking about it unlike us.

More bothered about getting a bacon sarnie in clubhouse or if the roll up can still operate on here.

My attitute is they play a totally different game to club amateurs so whatever they chose to have in their bag is of no interest to me whatsover.
I had to give you a "like".....you mentioned roll-ups. I haven't said anything about roll-ups for.....days. :eek:

I would tend to think that they can request any adjustments etc to their clubs to get them exactly how they like them.....and test the crap out of everything.....and then get more clubs to fool around with until they get things right.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Really enjoyed the TM videos with rahm, rory, jason day and tiger.

Rahm's enthusiasm shone through along with jason day who was like a big child soaking up all the info he could get from his mates.

I dont think rahm will have any problems using the new equipment.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
isn't it like most other moves.. all about the money.

up to him at the end of the day, why wouldn't you take a big pile of cash if its offered

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Players following the money - no change there then.

Lots of players probably still have irons only deals or bag only deals judging by what can be seen in them when you look carefully.