What do you make of Rahm moving to Callaway?

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I honestly don't think it matters what these guys use, they are that good they can play with anything, plus those top level clubs they use are much of a muchness between manufacturers and everything will be made to his spec so doubt he will see much change. Just changed for the money ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Not sure it matters beyond marketing - Rahm will still play well with them

Callaway get a big name as headliner - might help him get over the line to winning majors

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A good pay day for Rahm, and a top player for the Callaway marketing juggernaut. We've seen some players (Rose and Honma etc) struggle. It wouldn't want me to go out and get a set of Callaway and I'd still want what I considered the best for my game. I am sure these "prototype" irons will make it to market (with a price tag to match)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Think it probably suits everyone.

- TaylorMade free up a couple of million $ from their wage bill (which they then gave to Tommy Fleetwood), and still have Tiger, Rory, DJ, Wolf, Morikawa on their roster.
- Callaway get a big name to 'phil' Mickelson's spot at the top of their Player lineup.
- Rahm gets a boat load of cash.

Plenty of players have made equipment changes work, plenty haven't. Hopefully he will! Sergio waited 20+ years for a Major and got one a few months after making the same switch (and has now gone back to using some TM stuff).
Isn't Sergio a free agent now and using a mixed bag with mostly Ping?

I'm sure most pros at his end of the game will just hand their spec sheet over and get something almost identical to his previous clubs made up. Which will have probably happened long before he decided to make the switch.

There are loads of pics on the Web of various manufacturers RM stamped prototype irons from after Nike leaving the equipment game.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unlike football I don't really follow whose signed with whom in golf. It doesn't have the same importance to me. Good luck to him, seems like a nice guy and a decent player. Glad he's on Europe's team for the ryder cup.

TigerBear

Visit site
Will be strange seeing him in all the Callaway gear as he's synonymous with TM.

Good on him if the equipment change works out.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I get the clubs, the Travis Matthew clothes, it's the shoes. I guess they are Travis Matthew, but wow are they mingers to look at.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I’m never really bothered about what clubs the pros use. Someone wins every week and there are a variety of manufacturers used in those wins.

I think the decision was 80% financially driven in that they offered him a rake load of cash and a signing bonus. The other 20% is down to the equipment as he would have tested them out and they probably performed similarly in most cases and slightly better in a specific aspect (long irons or wedges etc) than his TM ones.

D

Deleted member 15344

This is awful for golf, Callaway are junk and exist only because they play for tour pros to play their product.

Sorry but what ?!?

Awful for golf - How on Earth is a player moving to Callaway awful for golf ?

Clearly they have done something right with the amount of major champs and top level golfers they have had on their books

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What’s the basis for your opinion?
Have you struggled to use one of their clubs?

Good question!

I have always disliked their marketing style, I find it far too brash and “in your face”. It started around the time Big Phil was hitting drivers across fountains in Las Vegas. It just seemed way too much.

I have also really disliked their design and aesthetics, I just don’t like the way they look in general.

Of all the brands I feel they are the ones who rely on marketing above anything else and don’t fit the image I would like golf to have. I feel the same way about TaylorMade but they don’t go to the same lengths as Callaway.

I think golf is better off with brands like Srixon, Mizuno, Ecco, Cleveland and Ping to name a few. They don’t go as OTT as Callaway and that suits me better.

I have tried the clubs once or twice but I know I wouldn’t get on with them. I am sure they are as functional as others but to me it’s a big No when it comes to buying.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Good question!

I have always disliked their marketing style, I find it far too brash and “in your face”. It started around the time Big Phil was hitting drivers across fountains in Las Vegas. It just seemed way too much.

I have also really disliked their design and aesthetics, I just don’t like the way they look in general.

Of all the brands I feel they are the ones who rely on marketing above anything else and don’t fit the image I would like golf to have. I feel the same way about TaylorMade but they don’t go to the same lengths as Callaway.

I think golf is better off with brands like Srixon, Mizuno, Ecco, Cleveland and Ping to name a few. They don’t go as OTT as Callaway and that suits me better.

Think TM have been far more in your face and pushy