What difference does extending a putter shaft make?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just wanted some opinions/knowledge quickly..

Wife has ordered me a new putter for birthday, 35 inch shaft. They've written back and said due to stock issues they only have 34 inches in stock, but they can extend it to 35 if we want. Does having an extended shaft make any discernible difference, i.e. to weight, balance or anything??

(If more info required - it's an Evnroll with gravity grip.)

D

Deleted member 1740

How tall are you? Buying an expensive putter online without trying is dangerous bordering on stupid.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Before you buy that - try a LAB..

I know they look insane but my god, I used one the other day (another member has one) it is the smoothest/ best thing ive ever felt to putt with! Madness honestly!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems silly to buy it, then get it modified. Surely you can find somewhere local that will price match...
I wouldn't have thought so, this is from Core golf and it was reduced to £268 I believe (including with the gravity grip).

Err, can anyone actually answer the question directly? Does it mess it up if you extend the shaft?

big_matt

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I just extended my putter by two inches and seems to feel the same (my back feels much better though).

However this was an old putter - i wouldnt order a brand new one with an extension in it.

D

Deleted member 1740

Before you buy that - try a LAB..

I know they look insane but my god, I used one the other day (another member has one) it is the smoothest/ best thing ive ever felt to putt with! Madness honestly!

I agree with trying putters in the LAB tech. It's a great bit of kit.

I went to buy a Scotty but ended up with a Evnroll. The best putter I've owned.

D

Deleted member 1740

I wouldn't have thought so, this is from Core golf and it was reduced to £268 I believe (including with the gravity grip).

Err, can anyone actually answer the question directly? Does it mess it up if you extend the shaft?

No it doesn't.

But if you're not tall enough it's useless.

D

Deleted member 1147

It may affect balance, but I don't know for sure.

Standard putter length these days seems to be 34 - I use 34 and am over 6ft, so I'd imagine unless you're taller than me you'd better off with 34 anyway, as it means you can get over the ball better and have your arms hang down straighter.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It may have an effect on the balance point or swing weight. If done properly then it shouldn't.

If you are under 6ft, the 34" might suit better.

As others have said. No way would I spend that on a putter and not get fit for it.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No.
My only concern would be what the grip would be like after it's been refitted, some grips don't like coming off easily.

D

Deleted member 1740

I don't know what that is supposed to mean? I'm 6 foot, and I use 35 now in my current putter, which I did a fitting for five years ago, and I still believe it is the correct length for me.

It's really not that hard.

Now it's starting to make sense.

You asked a question that had a few answers.

Had you said " I currently use a 35" putter and I'm 6ft" then the answer would've been a simple No.

Standard putters range from 33-35 as humans height variates.

A 35" putter would be useless for a 5ft human as would a 33" for 6ft6" human.

Do you now understand?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ok so in theory it will increaee the swingweight, how much this effects you is all guesswork, personally i wouldnt worry too much. As a guide scotty cameron headwight reduces by 10g per inch of putter length. However many (most) other brands dont change headweight. So your current 35 inch may already feel identical to the evnroll. Swingweight in putters is subjective at tge best of times, throw in a gravity grip and its 100% feel based. So I'd suggest no issue there.

Personally ive extended a scottey from 33 to 35 (circa 62 model so no weight ports) with no issue.

Lengthening will also effect the lie angle of the putter making it play more upright, i.e. the toe will be higher at address. Adding 1 inch makes the putter play about 4 degrees more upright.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Ok so in theory it will increaee the swingweight, how much this effects you is all guesswork, personally i wouldnt worry too much. As a guide scotty cameron headwight reduces by 10g per inch of putter length. However many (most) other brands dont change headweight. So your current 35 inch may already feel identical to the evnroll. Swingweight in putters is subjective at tge best of times, throw in a gravity grip and its 100% feel based. So I'd suggest no issue there.

Personally ive extended a scottey from 33 to 35 (circa 62 model so no weight ports) with no issue.

Lengthening will also effect the lie angle of the putter making it play more upright, i.e. the toe will be higher at address. Adding 1 inch makes the putter play about 4 degrees more upright.

Definitely some impact. As for height, David Howell, best thing to come out of Swindon since the M4 - Height 6 foot 1. Putter length 32inches. All depends on preference and set up.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Definitely some impact. As for height, David Howell, best thing to come out of Swindon since the M4 - Height 6 foot 1. Putter length 32inches. All depends on preference and set up.
Mickelson also uses a 32" putter

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Im niavely assuming that @Orikoru has a standard 35" putter that fits, and is wondering what a standard 34 inch putter extended to 35 inch will play like.

Answer is 5 swingweights heavier and 4 degrees more upright.

Will @Orikoru notice this is play, no idea. Will this fit @Orikoru better, or worse, no idea.