What area of your game impressed you?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Golf came back yesterday in England, and ill be honest, being as I have only been playing for 10 calendar months (4 lost to lockdowns) I was expecting to almost revert back to scores over 100 again - I didnt (phew).

I actually had a 44 in the morning and 43 in the evening over 9 holes (both front 9). Our back 9 is easier than the front too, we continued on to play the 3 key holes on the back 9 yesterday evening and on these I had Par, Par, Bogey... Gutted I didnt have the light to play a full 18.

Ive done some chipping work on a very cheap "rip off" of an accustrike that cost me a tenner from amazon in lockdown, mainly getting used to hinging my wrists and maintaining good ball contact - my short game yesterday was phenominal (for me...... let me have this) I had a chip to save par on the 8th, and never put myself into a situation that was more than a 5ft putt.

The ball striking started to translate to my irons in my evening round and the flight/ trajectory I was getting was better than ive ever seen from myself - and Ive not played for 3 months.

So, what area of your game impressed you the most yesterday/ post lockdown? Alternatively, what let you down that you can always rely on?

P.S my driving is going to take some work :ROFLMAO: its not all good

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I was impressed by my driving....the drives to and from the club were error free. As for the golf....it seems that I no longer have any sort of backswing!!!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Driving was good as ever was, but it was my irons - on the whole - which were very encouraging...until I got too casual on the final hole I played and out of the undergrowth from that dark place popped an unmentionable. No matter. I know what happened - besides - I did a neat recovery onto the green and nearly holed my 20ft par putt.

Last edited:

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Once I got past the first 5 holes my driving impressed me most, straight and actually where I wanted them to go... felt like the harder I swung it the more in control and better they seemed to go as well.

Wedge shots were also decent but my chipping around the green was terrible. It was before lockdown though so I can't blame that.

AAC

Visit site
Driving was poor, normally ok. Irons were ok as was my bunker play, putting was acceptable given how slow the greens were. All in all not a bad 12 holes but my back is really letting me know it hasn't played golf for almost a year.

Eagle2

Visit site
For me it was my chipping (surprisingly good) and my mental game... I was able to play within myself for 90% of my shots meaning I was only unhappy with 10% of my game.

I hope I have that control going forward - I think going out there and 100% not caring what happened must have been behind it too.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Bouncebackability!
First game out at 7am, no proper warm up so not expecting much. 13 pts on the front 9, back I was hitting the ball much better for a level par back 9 for 21pts to rescue my score. Would have been buffer zone in old money, take that after not swinging a club for 3 months ?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
My iron play was really strong throughout. My rescue clubs, until I tired two holes from home, were pretty darn good. The driver was ok but chipping let me down, partly I think because of my eye problem and mainly due to lack of practice. Back to the course tomorrow !

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Strangely, there was nothing particularly good and nothing particularly bad for me yesterday.

Singling out one thing that was a bit better than expected though I suppose, my short irons were pretty good, although I did come up short a few times which was frustrating.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pitching and chipping were like riding a bike, stiffed a few corkers.

Driving was also like riding a bike in that you never forget how to fall off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
New irons in the bag and a new shaft on the driver.

Really happy with the round overall.

Same ball that I started with just one double bogey and an approximate 9 over gross.

The only thing that let me down was a couple of thinned wedges and a couple of semi topped iron shots.

Next round I shall be trying the other set of irons I bought in recent months and see if they any better and the new driver I bought so slowly slowlty to get hopefully where I want to be in about a months time.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Iron play - it's been my strongest part of my game at the moment. My chipping was shocking - thinned and shanked, no duffs though.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All pretty good apart from chipping. Must have duffed more in one day than I've ever done in a month. In hindsight, was too ambitious with high lofted wedges rather than playing less risky shots.

I'll sort that next time I play....and something else will let me down ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Struck the ball surprisingly well, even with irons which is usually a bit of an achilles heel. Expected to slice a few woods and irons too but didn't really, bar the odd couple. Over lockdown I was worried about getting my swing back, but in fact that comes back pretty quickly with muscle memory, whereas it was the chipping and putting that were woeful - the things that require thought and judgement. :poop: