Western Gailes 8/100

G1z1

Visit site
Played western gailes this morning and what a course it was. I don’t know what I was expecting having never played or heard anyone talking about it but since it’s on the top 100 courses in Scotland I booked it. Turned out to be a fantastic course and I can’t really pick any stand out holes it was just 18 very nice holes of links golf, greens were fantastic and lots of bunkers guarding them. Loved the course.
0E98EE2C-25E8-4667-A1C4-9DF522949129.jpeg81E427E6-1CCC-460B-9EE5-02D31596AF72.jpeg6CEB92DA-6838-4CD9-AFCF-CAFD1EDC6577.jpeg0624D745-8702-4043-92ED-3EED98B2E179.jpeg1DDDC936-06C6-4D43-BB8E-D933D0A63B33.jpegEEDC3E6F-4AA2-49EC-AA7D-6D0F4B429710.jpeg52A593B5-1BB7-4BEE-8642-E0EABBF02ABB.jpegD134E794-BE4A-42D2-A950-D460AF272289.jpeg66BD8479-4B71-424E-A553-E92B76344ADD.jpegA597D9C6-9DD9-4609-8F68-3D47A11BF300.jpeg

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played it a few years ago.
They were having some sort of championship later in the year.
It was one of the hardest courses I have played. Rough about knee high.
Fabulous though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Great course played it a fair few times as I've a couple of mates that are members, not played it since the changes though, that was curtailed due to Covid, but hope to get back there again this year.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've admired it while playing the course on the other side of the railway.
Looks like a 'proper' links course!

evemccc

Visit site
I’m due to play it in a month or so - looking forward to it a lot

What tees can you go from, if you’re a standard Green Fee-payer? Any restrictions?

G1z1

Visit site

What tees can you go from, if you’re a standard Green Fee-payer? Any restrictions?
I just played off the yellow tees, the starter didn’t mention any restrictions so I’m guessing you could play off any. It’s was a fantastic course, I’m waiting until I play the others in the area then going to decide what one to join but I’m going to come off the waiting list at prestwick st nics as western gailes was a much better course.

evemccc

Visit site
I just played off the yellow tees, the starter didn’t mention any restrictions so I’m guessing you could play off any. It’s was a fantastic course, I’m waiting until I play the others in the area then going to decide what one to join but I’m going to come off the waiting list at prestwick st nics as western gailes was a much better course.

Have you played West Kilbride? Anecdotally I have heard nice things about it, and from what I have read on Top100.Com it appeals to me as a place to play - and if I were in the area, as a possible place to join

G1z1

Visit site
Have you played West Kilbride? Anecdotally I have heard nice things about it, and from what I have read on Top100.Com it appeals to me as a place to play - and if I were in the area, as a possible place to join
No not yet, the plan is to play west kilbride, Glasgow gailes, dundonald links, prestwick and royal Troon as soon as possible. Problem is the weather, looks like rain for the next two weeks :cry: was wanting to get at least one a week done.

jmcp

Visit site
I played Dundonald links a few weeks ago, it was in incredible condition and a real good challenge, we played from the blue tees, highly recommend it.

Cheers, John

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both very good courses. In my view Gailes wins on quality West Kilbride on scenery, personally I'd be very happy on either.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

We always play from the medal tees a far better course of those that the yellow imo. Played the very back tees a few times as when we had our club matches with them it was off these that were put in for Open Qualifying for Troon some years ago I think. Mind the starter did doesxalways ask our handicaps and always play with members

evemccc

Visit site
I’m visiting Ayrshire in late March, and have Sunday 27 March morning so far not booked in for golf anywhere - naturally it’s members priority as courses are busy..I get that

Still…worth a punt…Anyone fancy a round Sunday morning and generous enough to sign me on?!!?

Edit: I would play Lochgreen or Darley at Troon but I can’t get on until 11am and a start time then would probably eat in to my afternoon round

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not sure it's it's eased, but it had a long ish waiting list and you needed a few members to propose you, and of course you have to wear jacket and tie to arrive and leave at the course as a member.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pro-tip for photos - rotate them through 90 degrees on your phone a few times before uploading to the forum. It stops the forum messing up the orientation.

G1z1

Visit site
Pro-tip for photos - rotate them through 90 degrees on your phone a few times before uploading to the forum. It stops the forum messing up the orientation.
On my phone the photos are the right way up, not sure it keeps rotating them on this forum. I only go on a few other forums and have never experienced the photos rotating before.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On my phone the photos are the right way up, not sure it keeps rotating them on this forum. I only go on a few other forums and have never experienced the photos rotating before.

Yeah, it doesn't matter what it looks like on your phone. Just rotate them 90 degrees 4 times on your phone first so that you've spun them around back to the original orientation. Then when you upload the orientation won't get messed up by the forum. It's just an odd bug and that's an easy workaround.