WENTWORTH EXPERIENCE

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a follow up to my earlier post thought I would let you guys know how it all went!

Very early start as breakfast was due at 7.30am. So off I set at 5.45am (approx 1 1/2 hour journey factoring in M25).

Was met at the car park, by a chap who eagerly took my bag and told me to collect it when i was ready (nice touch).

After a hearty breakfast we were given all the gumph for the day including the obligatory course planner etc, which was to prove essential.

I started down on the range and headed for the outside bays where I had watched Henrik Stenson blasting drives in May at the BMW Championships and had my warm up, then off to the putting green to get a feel for the greens.

After meeting up with my playing partners we headed over to the 1st tee where we were met by the starter, at which point the nerves began to kick in, and memories of watching the likes of Els, Rose etc teeing off flooded my already over active adrenilin filled head.

When it was my turn to tee it up, I took a deep breath, and with a car waiting at the lights, made my swing, and to my great relief the ball soared off down the fairway. First hurdle safely negotiated!!!

A well struck six iron, and a wedge onto the green, set up my first par of the day, and I was beginning to feel really good.

The round progressed very well, and at the turn I was 3 under my handicap.

The back 9 seemed to fly past, and before I knew it we were standing on the 18th tee, and a couple of shots later standing on the green (which by the way looks so different once all the temp buildings and grand stand are removed). With putts dispatched we totted the cards up, and me and my partner took the money from the side bet which was an added bonus!

I managed to shoot a very respectable 85 (13 over) from my handicap of 17, although this wasn't good enough to get in the prizes.

The course was in great nick and it was great to walk the same fairways as the pro's. I managed to sink a few putts, (the greens were great by the way), and I was really pleased with how I hit the ball.

I took some time on a few holes to stand at the back tees, and it really is amaxing how far some of the carries are from the back.

This was undoubtedly an experience I shall never forget, and hopefully get a chance to do again.

D

Deleted member 1147

BM123 - the idea of a starter would put most of us off :eek:. So well done on getting one away.

It's always nice to go somewhere like that and play well.

I bet now you'll be awful to watch golf with, telling everyone how you did eh. "I got upand down from there", "well, I drove it that far", "that green's easy to read" etc etc :cool:

Congrats

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Glad you had a top day pal.

THe view on the 18th is strange I agree,it takes the definition away from the green.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fine effort!
How did the second go?
The back of the green was the first place I watched the pro's from and seeing Cabrera hit his short was a shock.
As such a short par 3 I imagine you're playing it from practically the same place.

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I hit a pretty well struck 8 iron on the second, but ended up in the front right bunker. Standing in their, you can only just see the green, which is above head height. Was well chuffed as managed to get up and down from there. I was lucky that I had my bunker game with me that day, as I went in 6 greenside bunkers througout the day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Great post and glad it was as awesome as you had hoped. You'll have some great bragging rights in your clubhouse now as you tell them how you got up and down or holed a putt as you watch one of the big names mess it up

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd like to ask BM 123 if Wentworth is as tight as it appears on the telly. The impression you get is that a wayward shot means a lost ball or, at best, playing out sideways onto the fairway.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I hit a pretty well struck 8 iron on the second, but ended up in the front right bunker. Standing in their, you can only just see the green, which is above head height. Was well chuffed as managed to get up and down from there. I was lucky that I had my bunker game with me that day, as I went in 6 greenside bunkers througout the day.

you can be proud of that! you did better than Monty, he took two to get out of the bunker and ended up with a 5.

I was lucky that I had my bunker game with me that day, as I went in 6 greenside bunkers througout the day.

aptly named then!

BunkerMentality123

Assistant Pro
Visit site
To be fair I didn't find the course half as intimidating as I thought I would. The first hole is actually quite open, and once you get over the nerves of where you are, and the fact that you've seen it so much on telly its okay.

After that there are some tricky holes, the par 3's are quite long but not stupid, and it was the 3's and 5's where I picked up all my shots.

Don't get me wrong, you can't just stand on the tee and smash it about as one of our 4 ball found, where he was in fact playing most of his shots out of the trees.

I think I was very lucky, but I think as Plantie and MWJ will tell you, I am fortunate enough to hit quite a straight ball, so was playing most of my shots from the short stuff.

It is a great test of golf, and some of the bunkers are quite scary, its a truly beautiful place and some of the houses are amazing (can't imagine how much they must cost!!!!)

If you get the chance play it, but unless yr on a corporate day, it is expensive at £285 per round in the summer.

I've started saving already!

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd like to ask BM 123 if Wentworth is as tight as it appears on the telly. The impression you get is that a wayward shot means a lost ball or, at best, playing out sideways onto the fairway.

It's actually almost the complete opposite as there's loads of room for the crowds and most of the tree branches are lopped off low down so you can play some Seve-ish style escapes. Some holes are tight - 9,13,17 but really you can blast your driver pretty much anywhere.