Well I've gone for it...

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
After taking the game up 3 years ago and starting with a set of Cobra S3 irons I've decided (in conjunction with my pro) that its time to move on to something a little more suited to me. Over the last few weeks I've been hitting various demo clubs from most of the manufacturers just to get a feel for those I like and narrow the field down ahead of a fitting. In the end it came down to going for Mizuno and a choice between the JPX825 pros, the EZ forged and the MP54. It did feel like the MP54 was stretching things a little but we kept it in for the fitting just as a comparison. So onto the fiiting itself.

Had a bit of a warm up then hit my own 6 iron to get a base line. My swing speed was 91-92 mph but the spin was on the high side and the flight was really high as well. So now I had my 3 swings with the swing DNA gizmo which was interesting. My swing speed came down to 89 mph (probably due to the shorter shaft) and my numbers were all 5s and 4s I think, my tempo was definitely a 5 anyway. This then recommended 3 shafts which I think were the Project X 5.5 the KBS and the Dynamic Gold S300. We quickly eliminated the project X (it just felt dead) and started working through the other 2 shafts with the 3 heads. After a while we discounted the MP54 as even though I hit it pretty well it wasn't quite forgiving enough for my current ability. Both the EZ forged and the 825 pro were giving me the best results in conjunction with DG S300 shaft so it became a bit of a shoot out between those 2 and the results between them were really close. My spin rate was down to below 5000 rpm and the flight was lower on both as well. Overall distance was higher for the EZ but that included a shot that absolutely flew off the face and was about 12 yards further than any other shot. Once that shot was removed the 825 pros suddenly started to look much better and actually the distances were much closer together and dispersion slightly tighter.

So we settled on the JPX825 PRO 4-PW with the Dynamic Gold S300 shafts 0.5 inch longer and 2 degrees upright. Standard grip with 4 layers of tape. I've also gone for a 3 iron from the MP-H4 range as I just don't get on with hybrids. We also looked at wedges and ive changed my wedges and wedge set up from a 52, 56, 60 to a 50 and 56 in the MP-R12 series which leaves a gap in the bag for the time being.

All in all a very enjoyable experience and even at my level its amazing how much of a difference the shaft can make so I'd recommend anyone to get a fitting when buying clubs even if only to get the right shaft.

Jumboross

Club Champion
Visit site
To reiterate a point Andy made, getting fit for the shaft is probably more important than the club head. I did the full Ping fitting in Gainsborough and settled on the KBS Tour shafts (I also thought the Project X was 'dead'). Changing the shaft made such a huge difference to spin rate and ball flight and just general feel and therefore confidence. When you've been fitted it gives such confidence on course. Also when you start hacking it around, you know it's you, not the equipment........

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
enjoy,

although all these new shiney CF thjreads are giving me not good thoughts! :D

Im sure HID's big stick will put them out of my mind. :lol:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
enjoy,

although all these new shiney CF thjreads are giving me not good thoughts! :D

Im sure HID's big stick will put them out of my mind. :lol:

Yes, I'm getting the same feeling, my CG16's will be 3yrs old in Feb and I'm sure my game has changed sufficiently to warrant a change.

V

vkurup

Been playing for 3 years too, but have TaylorMade Burner 2.0s in the bag... I would fancy a full fit at some point. Question> (if you dont mind) how much does a full bag cost or just irons. Those who went for Ping, again what would it cost.

I am a TaylorMade guy so might go with them or Titelist.. too early to say. Again, any view on the cost?

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Been playing for 3 years too, but have TaylorMade Burner 2.0s in the bag... I would fancy a full fit at some point. Question> (if you dont mind) how much does a full bag cost or just irons. Those who went for Ping, again what would it cost.

I am a TaylorMade guy so might go with them or Titelist.. too early to say. Again, any view on the cost?

If you mean the cost of the fit it was free as I purchased a set of irons, if you don't buy the irons then I believe it's £25. The irons themselves can cost anything from around £400 to silly money depending on what you want really. I think just the irons for me was £539 for 4 iron through to PW.