Weight transfer help please.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
great vid Justone thanks for the link, thats my next practise session sorted :) (good to see Harrington join the forum elite in averaging 300yds+ lol)

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com

Can you see the 'Race to Dubai' winner and 'USPGA champion' Martin Kaymer doing any of that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY09j8mWZAk

:p

Important to take from this what is relevant to you.

Notice how he keeps his right knee flexed to control his backswing and allow him to generate speed and lag on his throughswing.

Another drill is to do what Gary Player used to to, hit the shot and walk to the target. Start with a short iron and less than full swings. You'll know you're doing it right when you feel you're on top of the shot as your strike the ball and can feel the ball compressing and being 'trapped' under the shaft.

Feel free to IM me if you want anymore advice and let me know how you're getting on

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Notice how he keeps his right knee flexed to control his backswing and allow him to generate speed and lag on his throughswing.

Personally I'd rephrase that to...

Notice how he allows his right leg to straighten quite a lot (but not lock) to allow his hips and shoulders to turn fully.

... but that's just me ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2THCyxT28Q
This is a good one to watch the right leg,... and the hip turn,... and the shoulder turn,... and how the left arm doesn't really go above the plane of the shoulders :)

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com

Notice how he allows his right leg to straighten quite a lot (but not lock) to allow his hips and shoulders to turn fully.

This is a good one to watch the right leg,... and the hip turn,... and the shoulder turn,... and how the left arm doesn't really go above the plane of the shoulders :)

Agree and disagree.

Agree it's a good angle and it's not often seen but.......

He doesn't straighten his right leg and his hips turn no more than 40 degrees and he loads into his right hip. He controls his weight shift very well, using his body rotation and core to create and control the power. There is a lot to learn from this swing, i like the relationship between his arm and shoulder plane, not something a tall player would do but good for average to shorter players.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

Agree and disagree.

Agree it's a good angle and it's not often seen but.......

He doesn't straighten his right leg and his hips turn no more than 40 degrees and he loads into his right hip. He controls his weight shift very well, using his body rotation and core to create and control the power. There is a lot to learn from this swing, i like the relationship between his arm and shoulder plane, not something a tall player would do but good for average to shorter players.

Nah, he's allowing that right leg to straighten...

kay.gif

you can't possibly compare that right leg to someone like Ernie for example...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsf-M9VkIZU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lozbnky5MPg

Kaymer is allowing it to straighten. Admittedly it's not as straight as someone who (for example is stack and tilt) but then Kaymer like to plays with a nice big pull-fade instead of a beautiful push-draw :D :p

oh yeh, and we switched from talking about an iron swing to a driver swing which is like apples and oranges, he gets into his left side a lot more with an iron (obviously).

(note to self: don't switch from iron to driver in the same thread) :D

percy_layer

Challenge Tour Pro
www.davidord.com
Admittedly it's not as straight as someone who (for example is stack and tilt) but then Kaymer like to plays with a nice big pull-fade instead of a beautiful push-draw :D :p

All very nice but i'll keep teaching the way i teach and my players can carry on enjoying a fairly straight ball flight with just a hint of fade or draw depending on the players natural swing pattern.

Maybe you could learn a bit from Ernie Els swing style, might help control that push and hook you suffer from. If you put up a recent clip of your swing i'll give you some tips to get a more neutral ball flight and maintain your compression of the golf ball...... :)

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi all,
I have been told and can now really easily feel that I am leaving my weigh on my back foot. I also know that I can sometimes come over the top. These are the two bad things (maybe I should say two of the bad thing) in my swing, I guess I over swing still too. In the past I would have tried to deal with all of this in one go but I have learned that I cannot do that so I am going to work on weight transfer first.

Here is a video of my swing from a week or two ago, Be aware the back swing does not start till 40 sec in as it’s a slow motion video so just skip to 0.40.

http://www.youtube.com/user/iamfundy#p/a/u/0/Ru2Lzxqz_ns

As it happens it was a really lovely shot, pretty long and very straight but I felt my weight getting left behind. I don’t actually mind the back swing at all, weight onto my back foot, arm straight head still ish, not even the worst transition into the downswing but then its UGLY all the way from there to the point where my front foot tunes because there is not weight on it.

Any and all comments welcome. What I would like is a drill or advice so that I can work on this, Thanks so much.

Alex

Hey Alex, a couple of things that might help you...I've not been playing too long so feel free to ignore me.

1) The overswing and coming over the top could be to do with (in part) how you are hinging your wrists. It looks to me like halfway through your backswing you start to roll your wrists and hinge to the right instead of hinging upwards. This makes it difficult for your club to "fall" back down the same plane. Check the feeling by addressing the ball and hinging your wrists upwards to make the club parallel to the ground. This is what you want to do on your backswing. This should also shorten your swing because it will be a bit steeper on the way back. With a bit of a pause at the top to allow gravity to start the club down it might help with the over the top move.

2) Your spine angle should be facing away from the target with your head behind (to the right) of the ball throughout the swing. This will again help with the over the top swing and shorten your swing a bit. The more you lean over the ball the longer your swing will be and you'll have to force the club round your body instead of letting it fall downwards.

3) The above should give you a more up and down feeling to your swing instead of around feeling...it looks like you are turning in your shoes rather than pushing downwards through them.

Again, I'm just trying to help so any more experienced players can keep me right.

:)

A

Alex1975

Thanks all, I am taking it all on board. This afternoon I had a really great range session. To start I hit a whole basket of balls with my 9 iron with a 3/4 swing and just walked through them all, not too worried where the ball went. It started to feel pretty good. I have a feeling I was moving a long way to the right side before, maybe too much.

A few people have said about me picking the club up a little sooner on my take away and that seems to feel ok too.

I will pick what seems to work for me out of the advice I have been given and write it down as I am sure some of it will be great. Thanks all for your comments.

It would be now easy for me to say that I am on top of my weight transfer but golf is not a weeks work on the range so I will press on with that for a little while before making any more changes. I have make a prommis to myself to stick to a program.

Thanks all.