Weight shift

caslad81

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

The pro that I have had lessons with told me that I need to have my weight 50/50 with all clubs during setup. Last night I tried setting up 60/30 with my irons and 30/60 with the woods and seemed to hit the ball better. What are your thoughts? should I listen to the pro or should I do whats most comfortable? And is there any disadvantage to the way I tried?

Thanks

benhobden

Club Champion
Visit site
Where does the other 10% go?

Seriously though, feeling slightly more on the left side for irons, and slightly more the right side for the driver works for me. That said, I'm not a pro, and that's what you pay him for!

A

Alex1975

I too have been told to keep my weight 50/50 at address, but I am also aware that I have to move my weight onto my right side on my take away and move it to my left side on follow through. with that said there is no point having it anything but 50/50 at address.

caslad81

Medal Winner
Visit site
The reason I tried it was I read an article about it on GT where the explanation behind it was that you should be turning around an axis on the right leg with woods and an axis on the left leg with irons to promote a sweep with the woods and a downward stroke with the irons almost like a stack and tilt. I think a may persevere with it for a bit to see how a get on.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
The reason I tried it was I read an article about it on GT where the explanation behind it was that you should be turning around an axis on the right leg with woods and an axis on the left leg with irons to promote a sweep with the woods and a downward stroke with the irons almost like a stack and tilt. I think a may persevere with it for a bit to see how a get on.

Your right, weight on the left will help you hit down onto the ball, and weight on the right will help yo sweep the ball. But be careful not to over do it as this will make weight transfer more difficult.

The only time I preload my left side is for pitch, chip, and chip and run shots, other than that it's 50/50. I like to think that what happens below the waist is a consequence of what happens above the waist. If your posture and stance are good at address and you rotate around your spine you will find the weight naturally moves from one side to the other with your swing.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a lesson on Sunday and my problem was getting the weight onto my left side too quickly, which was causing the club to be cast outside on the downswing. Resulting in shanks and pulls.

He’s getting me to have more weight on the right side and keeping a straighter spine angle.

I used to have the old 70/30 for irons and this gradually caused the problems I’ve been having the last month or so.

On the other hand I do tend to have most of my weight on the right side for driving and I’m still a good driver of the ball.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I put more weight on my left side for chipping and pitching.
Otherwise I tend to load my right side more for both woods and irons.

Hard not to with the woods as I always lean right slightly when at address. Just seem to do the same with irons now.

Is that wrong? I do sometimes struggle with weight transfer on both drive and iron shots.

A

Alex1975

I put more weight on my left side for chipping and pitching.
Otherwise I tend to load my right side more for both woods and irons.

Hard not to with the woods as I always lean right slightly when at address. Just seem to do the same with irons now.

Is that wrong? I do sometimes struggle with weight transfer on both drive and iron shots.

i would have to say that if you are having trouble with transfer because of your pre load it would have to be wrong. As you know though im not a pro.