Wedge shafts

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What shaft does true temper use in for wedges, on the label it does not say just Dynamic gold.
I'm guessing it's maybe an R300/S300 trimmed, any7 ideas? I need to fit one to a new wedge head to match one I have which does not state the type. Has to be 0.370"

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
If it's .370" then you'll need to get a parallel tip shaft and tip trim down to your desired flex. This can be either R300 or S300 (nominal weight category) and you can tweak the trimming either way to make it softer or weaker.
For most OEM wedges, "wedge flex" is usually a S200 or S300 DG shaft.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I thought it was s400....

S200 is the norm.

I've heard once or twice that S400 can be used, but I would have thought that was unusual.

There's nothing particularly 'special' about either - they are just slightly out of spec S300s. S400s have quite a following of their own as, within a set, they tend to be much tighter tolerance. The couple of sets I've had have felt nice, whereas S300s felt not so nice!

Wedge shafts don't really get hit 100% very often and lighter generally means spinnier

nemicu

Head Pro
Visit site
You can tip trim anything between 4-5" depending on which shaft you use. It's possible to get a softer (and lighter) shaft and trim more or get a stiffer shaft and trim less.
With Dynamic Gold, weight and therefore flex class is everything. S200 for example is lighter than S300 and consequently it is weaker in flex. S400 is a bit heavier and therefore stiffer. Standard tip trimming is 4.25" for the PW, but since many aftermarket wedges are heavier in head weight than your iron set and the bottom of bore to ground measurement is usually longer, then careful selection of the shaft and trimming is required to give the desired flex.
OEM's usually sit on a huge stockpile of wedge shafts which are anything from S200-S400 and are simply installed and labelled "wedge" flex because they have no relative comparison to the iron set they are being used with. As a general rule of thumb, the lower lofted wedges get fitted with the heavier S300 shafts to match comparative iron sets, whereas more lofted wedges get fitted with S200 which are softer in flex and more suited to shots which will be played with partial swings requiring more spin and feel.
For your own needs, you must decide which flex matched to your wedge gives the best feel and performance. S200 usually gives the best compromise for the reasons outlined, but sometimes you can trim less than the recommended 4.25" to give a softer feel with more spin, or you can trim more to bring trajectory and spin down. Or, if you get more into advanced club fitting, you can tinker with weight class (S200, S300, S400 etc) to mix and match the tip trim and flex to suit the wedge head being used. For instance, you can used the heavier (and therefore stiffer) S400 shaft and tip trim less to give a similar playing flex to the S200 but the extra weight gives better feel feedback. It's all a matter of personal taste really, but that's what wedge shafts are all about. If you're not 100% sure what wedge shaft you already have, or what you want, then there's not much chance any of us will either and a certain amount of trial and error on your part may be required.