Wedge gapping

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
After losing my sw an trying to play yesterday with out it I'm going to treat my self some vokeys.
I'm dropping the 60 as I only use it in bunkers and yesterday it was a nightmare thinning stuff through the green.

What would be a good set up for the bottom end of my bag from standard pw down? Considering a 58

I was thinkin a middle numbered bounce but open to suggestions.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A lot depends on the loft of your PW, this is a good place to start to try and get consistent gaps, personally my PW is 47 I then have 50,54,58 vokeys which give me a pretty consistent gap. I have relatively low bounce on the 50 and 58 and a bit higher bounce on the 54 to try and cover most bases

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Your PW is almost certainly 45 degrees so probably a 50/54/58 or 52/58 depending on how many wedges you want to carry/how much room you have...
Having a range of bounce angles gives choice, have at least one with 10 or more to make sand shots easier.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
As has been said. A lot will depend on the loft of your PW.

Other than that, look how far you hit them. I used to have a 52/56 set up but found, strangely, the difference between them wasn't great, so switched to a 52/58 set-up to achieve better gapping and better greenside options.

I have 7* bounce in my 52* as it's used mainly from the fairway and greenside with my 58* having 10* bounce for use out of sand, but is still more than useful from the fairway.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
if you are thinning your 60 as you indicate, I can't see any point in getting 3 wedges - sorry to be blunt.

I would get a pair - either a 50, 51 or 52 with about 8 degrees bounce, and a normal 56 with 12/14; and I would also get a design that looks and feels right. there is a huge difference between a V and your current irons.

IMO gapping wedges can't be done on specification alone and has to take into acount the player.

equally what constitutes appropriate weapons in the bag needs to take into account courses and capabilities.

the above 2 clubs meet a tried and tested formulae for gap and SW that also have strengths at the extremes of conditions (heavy, fluffy v tight, bare)

connor

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To get 3 wedges I might drop a hybrid more than likely the 23 as 2 takes me to my 14 limit.
With a 52 and 58 I get a nice gap wedge but then the 3wedge set up is more options/indecision around the green

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
To get 3 wedges I might drop a hybrid more than likely the 23 as 2 takes me to my 14 limit.
With a 52 and 58 I get a nice gap wedge but then the 3wedge set up is more options around the green

Without getting into the 2/3/4 wedge debate.

More wedges doesn't equal more options, just more clubs IMHO.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had your irons Connor and set my wedges around them, the stock pw was 46* if I remember right, I went with 52 and 58 and never really saw the need for any more. A 60 caused to much trouble trying to play tv shots.

I used the stock pw from 110-90, 52* from 75-90, 58* from 50-75, the 58 is fine from sand traps too. I didn't want a 3 wedge set up as I think it can give capper golfers too many options, 2 specific wedges 52/58 in my case gives plenty of options ;-)