Wedge expectations from different distances

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am pretty horrendous at pitching/chipping (at least I think I am) and spoke to someone recently who said from 60 yards should be within 12-15 feet... Really? That's only 4-5 yards? Just wondering if expectations are too high like most with putting?

Are there any stats out there comparable to handicap for 30, 40, 50, 60 yards etc

I practiced a bit recently and was guestimating I'm probably averaging about 12 feet from 30 yards, 15 feet from 40 yards and about 18-20 feet from 50 yards.

I know its an area I need to practice on but would be interested if there are stats out there on this?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying, I think people expect to be close every time which can lead to taking on flags which just are not worth the risk.

I also think that it is not all about distance from the flag but it is about getting the ball into the correct areas. If you change the 'flag' to where you are actually aiming (this may not be the same place) then distance from the flag becomes irrelevant. I would rather have a 20 footer uphill put than a 5 footer downhill slider.

My expectation also varies greatly to do with lie, pin placement (front or back of green), weather conditions and just how I am swinging on that day.

From 30 yards with a central pin I would be expected 5-10foot
50: About 10-15
75: 15-20

But as mentioned, it is more about hitting the right area of the green to give the best putt.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I tend to work to the 10% rule..
I'm not unhappy to be 10 yards away from 100 out.
Yes I'd like to be closer but I'm an amateur. There's a lot of things that go wrong between address and contact.

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am pretty horrendous at pitching/chipping (at least I think I am) and spoke to someone recently who said from 60 yards should be within 12-15 feet... Really? That's only 4-5 yards? Just wondering if expectations are too high like most with putting?

Are there any stats out there comparable to handicap for 30, 40, 50, 60 yards etc

I practiced a bit recently and was guestimating I'm probably averaging about 12 feet from 30 yards, 15 feet from 40 yards and about 18-20 feet from 50 yards.

I know its an area I need to practice on but would be interested if there are stats out there on this?

so tour wedge distances (averages) to pin from 100/120yards in - the top twenty range from around 15' & change to around 18' & change

so distances from 80 - 60 etc improve a tad on that as the distance diminishes

so yep there's some room there for improvement of the wedge game - back to check the 'statics' of set-up/alignment/ball position & for sure grip - plus definitely have to be looking at where 'exactly' you reckon your chosen target & target line - need to really define the target 'area' - it's not always directly at the pin

-assuming the grip hold is still a bunch on the strong side that is goin to make control of dynamic loft & face angle a tad problematic- & will definitely be playing into the issues

Last edited:

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Speaking as a higher handicap my expectation is to be on the green if I'm 50+ away, within that I'm targeting the safer miss mostly, so if its 20 over a bunker I'll likely be longer. Or I will try to be on the wider bit not trying to hit a 3ft circle where the miss kills me

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I am just happy not to thin one through the back of the green from anywhere from 20 yards to 120.

I can hit 10 pitch shots the exact same and a few will for go nice and high like planned, a few will be low with lots of spin and a few will just thin bullet, drives me nuts

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anywhere on the green is usually OK for me. Only times that's not the case is on our stepped/split level greens, when it is important to get the ball on the right level - especially when the flag is on the upper level, or on one of our more severley sloping greens when you always want an uphill putt if you can.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anywhere on the green is usually OK for me. Only times that's not the case is on our stepped/split level greens, when it is important to get the ball on the right level - especially when the flag is on the upper level, or on one of our more severley sloping greens when you always want an uphill putt if you can.

Hi Hugh, even on a 30 yard chip you are seriously happy to be anywhere on the green? so a 60 foot putt?

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Anywhere you can get down in two from is good but if you take two putts that’s never bad just means a bogey instead of par if you have played the hole well.

For anyone struggling 100 yards and in then anyone on the green is good. I’ve seen people miss the green from 10 yards off it...

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anywhere you can get down in two from is good but if you take two putts that’s never bad just means a bogey instead of par if you have played the hole well.

For anyone struggling 100 yards and in then anyone on the green is good. I’ve seen people miss the green from 10 yards off it...

If you miss the green on the wrong side at my course can easily miss the green even from 10 yards!

In the summer you now have to pitch it and get it to land before the green on the fringe then hope it still doesnt roll all the way through.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

I can miss the green from 1 yard!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Hugh, even on a 30 yard chip you are seriously happy to be anywhere on the green? so a 60 foot putt?

We don't have any greens that big - you need to come down to me and experience little Surrey heathland course greens :)

But in truth - quite. I would of course be disappointed to be at the front of a green when the flag is at the back. Just that the way my game is at the moment, any short iron short to a green is excellent if it does not end up 50yds to the right of it :(

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

One day I had an epiphany moment when I realised that were I to get my ball within say 20yds of a green (or on it) in regulation every time then if I got up and down in two 50% of the time and no worse than two putts the rest of the time I would be a 9 handicapper. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
When I was using Game Golf it did produce some interesting stats and showed from 75-100 yards I had 83% inside 15 yards. Not great and I'd be interested to do it again (and will once I decide what tagging method to buy) and see how much the linear method has changed that stat.

I am working hard from 100 yards and in and feel I am making progress. Chipping still the weak link but that'll come. I don't set targets per se at the moment but will get back into that

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With a full wedge shot I am really just looking to be somewhere on the green but hoping to get it close. From under 20 yards I am thinking about holing it first and getting it close second.

Between the 2 I am hoping to leave it in one putt range so anything under 20 ft is great.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
From 50-100 yards I expect to get close enough to leave a chance of making a putt, but certainly do not expect to leave a tap in. I do think that handicap golfers expect too much, which then leads to tension in the arms which obviously then leads to a bad shot.

I do think that putting ability can have an effect on what you expect from these shots. I'm good with the flat stick so I always feel that I have a good chance at holing anything within 20 foot, so I do not put pressure on myself to knock it dead. But someone who isn't good at putting will feel that they need to get it close to give a birdie chance, again leading to tension in the arms causing a bad shot.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you miss the green on the wrong side at my course can easily miss the green even from 10 yards!

In the summer you now have to pitch it and get it to land before the green on the fringe then hope it still doesnt roll all the way through.

Does your club not have a watering system? You should always be able to land a ball on the green with a wedge.