Wedge expectations from different distances

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was our tiny practice green which at the moment is brick hard so some were within 7 yards but in rough which may have stopped it- I thought yeah pretty good too so yes think it's all to do with perception of what we should be achieving.... I'm using arccos 360 to evaluate my game though and it does have me a 20.1 handicap at chipping so It's still an area I need to improve but I think it's more mental/yippy than distance control (IE doing stupid thins/chunks too often) and perhaps like I said course management- I read an article earlier and the pro was saying give yourself at least 10% margin for error for irons & pitches.... IE if you have a landing spot of say 60 yards make sure it's at least 6 yards away from danger and try & miss on the safe side. I'm going to try & incorporate this in my play & see if I can do a bit better- Too much am I just seeing a pin & trying to get it close.

badgb21

Hacker
Visit site
The closer the shot, the more I would hope to hit a designated area, say the size of half the green.
Unless I'm going over sand, in which case the 'magnetic attraction' of ball to sand takes over and I need to prepare for a bunker shot!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Spent a good 45 minutes on the putting green last night chipping balls but rather than aiming for a specific hole I was aiming at a towel placed on the ground about 10-12 yards away and was trying to land the ball on the towel each time with different clubs from 7-SW. Great for working on a specific landing zone and really interesting to see how far each club ran out. Changed my perception on how far several clubs especially a PW ran out which was far shorter than I had thought.