Weather Warning

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
When it is a real storm, our course normally closes or at least strongly advises against people playing, because we have a lot of high trees that might drop branches on you. So I wouldn't go and play there. I think it could be fun to play a links course in really strong winds, though. Not with the intention of making any kind of score. Just to be out there and battle the elements. You might need to take quite a few spare balls, though.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In sunny Shropshire gusts about 35-50(calming down to lower end now), played fun golf in that kind of wind and would again, a great laugh.

Certainly not a day for scoring but just playing with the ball flight and wind , get out their Mr Crazyface :p

I managed a good score in the wind as it was only 30 mph. We had to clear part of the 16th green of acorns and a few very small bits of branch to putt but that was the worst of it. Tomorrow we are due to play a B team match, starting at 2pm, and I know their captain was intending to call ours to discuss whether we play or not. I know the rain will be on from 10am onwards and the wind will pick up from 4pm so it would be very unpleasant. I await developments.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Played first thing and, although it was breezy it wasn't a problem. But this afternoon the gusts have got stronger and I wouldn't want to be on a tree-lined course now. Several large branches down in town let alone out in the fields.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place is closed for safety reasons. We do have a lot of trees.

Not that I would have been playing in that anyway, it's wild out there.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When the wind is so strong that you cannot stand still it or when the ball gets moved on the green by the wind it's time to call it a day.

I play a part hill top course so strong wind is nothing new but I do think I have ever played in that sort of wind.

There was enough debris on the course yesterday for me to think twice about going under the trees when I was out for a walk on our hole course.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been out with the dog and in the dene there are a couple of very large tree that have come down, one pulled up from the ground and another snapped half way up a trunk which was around 2 feet diameter.

Seen a photo from Westerhope GC that a tree had come down

It's supposed to be worse on Sunday into Monday as well

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in it today. Wednesday medal. Shot 90 gross nett 80. Hat blew off on most holes. I three putted 8 holes which I’m certainly blaming the wind.
And I got sand in my eyes and gob.

Vikingman

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in an open yesterday.

Approaching the 5th green I heard a crack, looked left and saw a tree coming down.

Landed 5 yards in front of me.

For good measure got hit by a ball for the first time last Thursday.

Dangerous places golf courses.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
the really bad stuff didn't really appear here at all. in fact it looks quite nice out there.

might try and hit a few later as i've got to go over and get my clubs out the locker for Dornoch Tomorrow.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played today and got close to one of my won criteria. Nearly got blown over on one our top end of the course holes.
Luckily it was a texas scramble so it did not matter that much.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Aye open tomorrow green keeper said there is no access between 2nd and 3rd holes so must be quite bad, I'm going to try get a round in before largs so hope theres not to much damage done

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just had an email saying preferred lies start now due to bad weather....

....I’m in the Algarve, 31 degrees yesterday...do I have to come home?:confused:

I have had a lot of players come up to me and suggest the club introduces preferred lies due to the lack of grass on a lot of fairways they all get the same reply "we cannot introduce it without county approval".