Waterproof bucket hat ??

badgergm

Visit site

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
One of the reasons I bought my “ walking “ waterproof coat was the fact it had a high neck with a hood that has a peak on it. Ave worn it the last 3 times in wind and rain and it has been fantastic.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There isn’t really any faffing about if you have trolley and umbrella holder. Revolutionised playing golf in the rain.

Politely disagree. I find it harder to steer the trolley with an umbrella attached and if I have to use one (prefer not to where possible and stick to waterproofs) I prefer to carry it with a towel underneath so I can dry hands, club face and grip. Sometimes, particularly on the greens the trolley may be some distance away

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i have had a few gortex hats, and all made my head sweat so much my head was still soaked anyway, best thing i've found is the galvin hat with the fleeece lined and ear flaps, even wear that out now walking the dog, not cheap, i think it was £40, but best of both warm and dry.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
I have a Sunderland badged one. I don't bother with unbrellas, just the bucket hat if it's raining hard enough. I don't understand why more people don't wear one, they stop the water from going down your neck and off your face.

I have a bucket hat of sorts, but when it's windy it doesn't stay on.
I really need to play in one, especially in the summer as I have an ear/skin / sunburn problem.
Is there a make of hat that will stay on in the wind that someone could recommend, please?

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've had one of the Galvin Green Ark bucket hats for a few years, not the Aqua one with the big neck flap as mentioned above.

As its Goretex Paclite (I think, from memory, it gets very frustrating how many times Gore rebrand their products) I've got the usual waterproof gripes with it, it certainly sheds rain but I still get a wet head due to sweat and condensation. It keeps rain off my face and neck fine, it was more useful prior to laser surgery when I was wearing glasses to play, but the condensation is annoying as you're not really staying dry. I'm also lucky in that the size fits me just right, it's not adjustable and there's no fastener in any way, any looser and it would continually blow away and any tighter it'd be uncomfortable.

All in all, even though I still use it and its fine, I don't think it's worth the £40 I paid for it.

Unless it's absolutely shedding it down I tend to wear either my Harris or Mull tweed cap and it actually keeps me drier and warmer in light rain than the GoreTex does.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I really need to play in one, especially in the summer as I have an ear/skin / sunburn problem.
Is there a make of hat that will stay on in the wind that someone could recommend, please?
For summer try a Tilley Hat. Recommended to me by a friend who has had skin cancer. They come with a lifetime guarantee. Not waterproof, this only relates to your summer query.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Get your local tailor to sew an elastic strap onto it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I bought this one from Decathlon: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/waterproof-sailing-500-hat/_/R-p-302917?mc=8545930&c=BLACK
It's not a 'golf' one but it's a waterproof bucket hat all the same. I just leave it in my golf bag along with my waterproof jacket. It's just as good as a head, but much less likely to restrict your vision when turning through the shot. And the toggle thing ties it under your chin so the wind doesn't blow it off. It does the job, I'm quite happy with it really.