Water Hazzard ruling

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
A point was raised while playing this morning that I will try to describe as well as I can.

Par three hole with an elevated green, steep bank in front and a ditch in front of that.

So tee shot goes over ditch and hits the upslope just on edge of green, then rolls back into the ditch.

Should the next shot with penalty be played from the tee side of the ditch or the side where the ball rolled into the hazzard. If the green side and you can go back as far as you like this could result in dropping the ball on or near the green.

I thought it should be where the ball first crossed the hazzard from the tee but not sure. What do you think?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's from where the ball last crossed the hazard, but no nearer the hole. That usually means dropping on the side opposite the green.

If your 2 club lengths sideways on the side nearest the green can give you a spot not nearer the hole then I'd imagine you could drop there but I could be wrong.

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Are you talking water hazard or lateral water hazard. Basically yellow stakes you go back (away from flag) keeping in line with last point of entry and flag or drop where you last played it from. Red stakes you have above options plus 2 clu lengths option to side of hazard no nearer hole. Some courses may also have dropping zones for balls going in certain water hazards as an option.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just checked in the rules

If a ball is found in the water hazard or if it is known or virtually certain that a ball that has not been found is in the water hazard (whether the ball lies in water or not), the player may under penalty of one stroke:
a. Proceed under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1 by playing a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was last played (see Rule 20-5); or
b. Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
c. As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.
When proceeding under this Rule, the player may lift and clean his ball or substitute a ball.

So Region3, is right. But the second part of his answer only applies to lateral water hazards. It would not apply in the case, you have stated

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you talking water hazard or lateral water hazard. Basically yellow stakes you go back (away from flag) keeping in line with last point of entry and flag or drop where you last played it from. Red stakes you have above options plus 2 clu lengths option to side of hazard no nearer hole. Some courses may also have dropping zones for balls going in certain water hazards as an option.

Water hazzard - yellow stakes

sona

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for answers.

I thought it should behind water hazzard on a line of the flag and the point where it went into hazzard.