Warning for anyone going to Turkey

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We generally have a couple of holidays a year and always buy an annual insurance policy. Unless we are planning a big blowout to Mexico or something like that, I buy a Europe policy as it's a fair bit cheaper than a worldwide one.

We booked up for Croatia and Montenegro a few months ago, and renewed the insurance.

I've since booked to go on a golfing holiday to Turkey. Just printed off my visa and thought I would print off the insurance certificate. Noticed it has a big list of countries covered, no sign of Turkey on the list!

Googled it, and while some insurance companies include Turkey in their European policies, others don't, so if you are off there this summer, check your policy.

(I know there will be some smartarse along in a minute saying "don't you know Turkey is in Asia")

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Where in Croatia are you going to? We had two lovely holidays in Cavtat, near Dubrovnik. We did a day trip to Montenegro but did not stay there.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Where in Croatia are you going to? We had two lovely holidays in Cavtat, near Dubrovnik. We did a day trip to Montenegro but did not stay there.

We are spending a week down at Kotor in Montenegro and then 3 days at Cavtat. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and loved it. We were in a villa then, but are staying in the Hotel Croatia this time. Can't wait to go back to the Little Star Beach Bar for the best sunsets I've ever seen.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love Turkey, but I have noticed that some insurance companies don't cover the place under Europe now. Shame. Big struggle between those that want to be in Europe, the rich, and those that follow the old ways, and riot at the slightest provocation, the poor. (A little generalisation). :) But probably not far off.:unsure:

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We generally have a couple of holidays a year and always buy an annual insurance policy. Unless we are planning a big blowout to Mexico or something like that, I buy a Europe policy as it's a fair bit cheaper than a worldwide one.

We booked up for Croatia and Montenegro a few months ago, and renewed the insurance.

I've since booked to go on a golfing holiday to Turkey. Just printed off my visa and thought I would print off the insurance certificate. Noticed it has a big list of countries covered, no sign of Turkey on the list!

Googled it, and while some insurance companies include Turkey in their European policies, others don't, so if you are off there this summer, check your policy.

(I know there will be some smartarse along in a minute saying "don't you know Turkey is in Asia")

Thanks for the heads-up, off with golfing buddies in May, will double check all the documents (y)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We are spending a week down at Kotor in Montenegro and then 3 days at Cavtat. We stayed there a couple of years ago, and loved it. We were in a villa then, but are staying in the Hotel Croatia this time. Can't wait to go back to the Little Star Beach Bar for the best sunsets I've ever seen.
Totally agree on the sunsets, never seen anything like them before. If you haven't tried it before I would highly recommend the restaurant Ciparis. Family run place, good food, lovely atmosphere.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Totally agree on the sunsets, never seen anything like them before. If you haven't tried it before I would highly recommend the restaurant Ciparis. Family run place, good food, lovely atmosphere.

thanks for the recommendation. googled it and it looks familiar, but no idea if we ate in there or not!

If you ever go back, I'd recommend getting up early one morning and doing the Ronald Brown Pathway walk up to the top of the mountain behind Cavtat. Great views from the top, and an interesting story behind it.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
thanks for the recommendation. googled it and it looks familiar, but no idea if we ate in there or not!

If you ever go back, I'd recommend getting up early one morning and doing the Ronald Brown Pathway walk up to the top of the mountain behind Cavtat. Great views from the top, and an interesting story behind it.
It is away from the centre, keep the sea on your left. It is around one of the bends, on its own a little. Lovely place.

Thanks for the tip (y)

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It is away from the centre, keep the sea on your left. It is around one of the bends, on its own a little. Lovely place.

Thanks for the tip (y)

yes, the villa we stayed at was at the end of that road, behind a big hotel, just before you head up the very steep road out of town.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes, the villa we stayed at was at the end of that road, behind a big hotel, just before you head up the very steep road out of town.
First time we went we stayed near the top of that very steep road. We stayed closer to the centre next time when we were a little wiser about the layout of the place #hardwork #toohotforthatnonsense #imonholidayanddon'tneedtobeknackered